New GD-77 / GD-77S / RD-5R / DM-1801 Beta

VK3KYY

New GD-77 / GD-77S / RD-5R / DM-1801 Beta

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:51 am

A new Beta version is available for the GD-77, GD-77S, RD-5R and DM-1801 etc

downloads/GD77/Firmware/20fd298f3c30676 ... 444d9f8eff

downloads/GD77/Firmware/Latest

Changes in this version

* Fixes a problem with reading and writing to the Flash memory which causes the radio to run slower than it should.
* Fixes problems of the VFO and Channel screen sometimes being blank
* Fixes problems with AT1846S TRx chip register cache system
* Fixes problem when attempting to transmit DTMF in satellite mode.
* Fixes QuickKey problems e.g. in VFO Dual Watch
* Updated multiple translations
* Romanian added. Note: The latest CPS is required to be able to select Romanian
* Adds Force DMO open to DMR channels. This sets a channel to operate in simplex / DMO even when the Tx and Rx frequencies are different. The CPS has also been updated to support this option.

All users should update because of the bug in the Flash memory access.

Thanks to Daniel F1RMB for his work on this new version, and thanks again to the translators

m1dyp

Re: New GD-77 / GD-77S / RD-5R / DM-1801 Beta

Post by m1dyp » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:41 am

thanks

Ik0nwg

Post by Ik0nwg » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:12 am

Thank you Roger
Thank you Daniel
Ciao
Sal

Eb5ivb

Post by Eb5ivb » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:43 pm

Hi all. I have a TYT MD9600, a MD380UV and a Baofeng DM1801 with the latest version of Opengd installed, the version with the new option "Force DMO". The three transceivers have the same behavior the first time they are powered on. When you are on a duplex channel with Force DMO option set to NO, the first TX is always in DMO mode. From then on it works OK.
Anyone has noticed the same behavior?

On the other hand this is a very good feature for me. Many thanks four your job. 73!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:03 pm

Eb5ivb wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:43 pm
Hi all. I have a TYT MD9600, a MD380UV and a Baofeng DM1801 with the latest version of Opengd installed, the version with the new option "Force DMO". The three transceivers have the same behavior the first time they are powered on. When you are on a duplex channel with Force DMO option set to NO, the first TX is always in DMO mode. From then on it works OK.

On the other hand this is a very good feature for me. Many thanks four your job. 73!
For DMR channels where Tx and Rx frequency are not the same, the radio operates in RMO automatically

In RMO if there is no DMR signal from the repeater, the radio sends the WakeUp packets. These are not DMO, they are part of the RMO protocol

Eb5ivb

Post by Eb5ivb » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:49 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:03 pm
Eb5ivb wrote:

For DMR channels where Tx and Rx frequency are not the same, the radio operates in RMO automatically

In RMO if there is no DMR signal from the repeater, the radio sends the WakeUp packets. These are not DMO, they are part of the RMO protocol

In effect on the first TX the radio sends carrier but not wake up packets. I tuned an analogic radio in the frequency that radio transmits and I can hear a continuous carrier instead of one or two "pulses" to wake up repeater.
In the second push of ptt the transmision is correct and the repeater wakes up. In fact, first time the tx led is steady lighting and in the second time it lights on/off one or twice before waking up the repeater and then lights on until I relase the ptt.
It seems as if you tune a duplex channel there is not a check of the Force DMO parameter before the first transmision. At second PTT this parameter has been checked and it works ok.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:18 pm

Eb5ivb wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:49 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Eb5ivb wrote:

In effect on the first TX the radio sends carrier but not wake up packets. I tuned an analogic radio in the frequency that radio transmits and I can hear a continuous carrier instead of one or two "pulses" to wake up repeater.
In the second push of ptt the transmision is correct and the repeater wakes up. In fact, first time the tx led is steady lighting and in the second time it lights on/off one or twice before waking up the repeater and then lights on until I relase the ptt.
It seems as if you tune a duplex channel there is not a check of the Force DMO parameter before the first transmision. At second PTT this parameter has been checked and it works ok.
Try the previous version of firmware, there should be no difference

Eb5ivb

Post by Eb5ivb » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:18 pm
Eb5ivb wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:49 pm
VK3KYY wrote:

Try the previous version of firmware, there should be no difference
Hi again.
Installed previous version (03.06.2024) on my MD380UV and repeater channels are working as expected. First transmission wake up repeater and then starts working in the right way without releasing PTT. I forgot to mention that the same repeater is working right with other DMR radios. I also have a Retevis RT73 and a MD380 (only UHF) and they doesn't have this "problem". I quote "problem" because is only the first TX, not the following PTTs.

Moreover, if you turn on radio when repeater is TXing and press PTT before repeater tail finish, the first TX is correct, waking up repeater with no error. RX is not affected at all, working always correctly.

Despite of this, I will return my MD380UV to the latest firmware because I prefer the "Force DMO" option and the bug is not a great bug, only a minor mistake that has to be taken into account before using a repeater. I can live with it :D
Thanks again for your job and if you need some kind of tests or something to try to fix the problem, feel free to ask me. I'll try to help.
73's

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

OK.

I didn't understand the bug from your description, but I see there is a bug with the radio operating in DMO mode even for RMO channels for the fist transmission on a channel or the first time that the VFO screen is selected

When the PTT is first pressed the radio is transmitting in DMO even when it should be in RMO

However if the PTT is released and pressed again, the radio operates correctly in RMO.

This looks like a data initialisation problem, which I will need to investigate and fix.

Eb5ivb

Post by Eb5ivb » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am
OK.

I didn't understand the bug from your description, but I see there is a bug with the radio operating in DMO mode even for RMO channels for the fist transmission on a channel or the first time that the VFO screen is selected

When the PTT is first pressed the radio is transmitting in DMO even when it should be in RMO

However if the PTT is released and pressed again, the radio operates correctly in RMO.

This looks like a data initialisation problem, which I will need to investigate and fix.
I didn't understand the bug from your description, but I see there is a bug with the radio operating in DMO mode even for RMO channels for the fist transmission on a channel or the first time that the VFO screen is selected --> No, only in RMO channels. In a channel (or VFO) with different frequencies the DMO mode works correctly.

When the PTT is first pressed the radio is transmitting in DMO even when it should be in RMO ---> Right

However if the PTT is released and pressed again, the radio operates correctly in RMO. --> Right again. Moreover, if you change to a simplex channel once you return to a RMO channel in RMO mode, the first transmission is always in DMO mode. Tested with my MMDVM duplex hotspot in simplex and duplex mode configs.

Sorry if my explanations are confusing but i don't know how to describe better the issue. I hope this post can clarify the problem.