DM 1801 and volume knob issues

iz5wga

DM 1801 and volume knob issues

Post by iz5wga » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:08 am

Hi all,
I'm having some troubles with the volume knob, and I'd like to ask you if anyone faced anything similar.
Once I turn the radio on rotating the knob, it shuts down as soon as I go a little further (as everybody would do to increase the volume); at this point, if I decrease the volume turning the knob, it turns on again.
It seems like it likes to be "on" only if the knob is "right after" the click: as soon as I deviate from this position, the radio goes off.

This behaviour is not deterministic: sometimes it happens as soon as I keep the transceiver in my hands, and no matter how many times I try to turn it on and off. Sometimes it behaves normally for 20 minutes, 1 hour and then starts behaving like that.

Is it cursed ?

F1RMB

Re: DM 1801 and volume knob issues

Post by F1RMB » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:10 am

Hi,

Broken solder joint ?

Cheers.
---
Daniel

iz5wga

Post by iz5wga » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:18 am

I haven't opened it yet (since I removed the dust from it yesterday night), but I suppose it's a must-be-done step. I was wondering if it's a "common" issue with this handheld.
I'll check solders tonight :)

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:28 am

Not to my knowledge, but it looks like a mechanical problem.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

EA3BIL

Post by EA3BIL » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:50 am

iz5wga wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:08 am
Hi all,
I'm having some troubles with the volume knob, and I'd like to ask you if anyone faced anything similar.
Once I turn the radio on rotating the knob, it shuts down as soon as I go a little further (as everybody would do to increase the volume); at this point, if I decrease the volume turning the knob, it turns on again.
It seems like it likes to be "on" only if the knob is "right after" the click: as soon as I deviate from this position, the radio goes off.

This behaviour is not deterministic: sometimes it happens as soon as I keep the transceiver in my hands, and no matter how many times I try to turn it on and off. Sometimes it behaves normally for 20 minutes, 1 hour and then starts behaving like that.

Is it cursed ?
Hi Matteo,

As per your explanation it looks like a electro-mechanical issue in the switch.

I may suggest you to:
-Check PCB soldering related to the knob. By check I mean, redo 'cause they may look like ok and not being working properly.
-Softly lateral press (not turning, not down) to check whether it goes off or not. If it goes off at any moment... Knob needs to be replaced.

Suggestions based on my own experience at electronics' service shop (car radio used to behave that way...)

I hope this helps.

P.D.:
As far as I see, it is nothing related to FW nor Codeplug, it's pure electronics item.

P.D.2:
If needed, you can find replacement knob in here:
If my memories are not wrong, you need 10K ohm with switch.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_ExdSkMF or...
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EyJWR8P

iz5wga

Post by iz5wga » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:33 am

Hi again,
thanks, I actually replaced the knob and now everything works as intended!