GD-77 Please help - Radio hangs permanently

VK3KYY

Re: GD-77 Please help - Radio hangs permanently

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:00 am

F1RMB wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:28 am
Hi,

I would add à reminder here:
Never do à factory reset on GD-77/DM-1801/RD-5R, depending on the official (manufacturer) firmware, it will kill the protection bytes and turn the radio into something you cannot flash anymore unless you flash a modified bootloader using a hardware programmer.

Cheers.
---
Daniel
Someytimes also just changing to a different version of official firmware has been known to erase the protection bytes, however its unclear exactly when this happens, i.e which versions of official firmware do this and under what conditions

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:14 am

Yes,

but I had to fix 2 GD-77 because the guys has done a factory reset. I've also done that, just to confirm, but I can't remember the FW version (fw years back).

As Dieter started to mention doing so, I'd prefer to trigger a warning.

So, the rule of thumb is: don't do that, it's bad ;)

and it's unnecessary 99.99% of the time, better off starting with a fresh codeplug.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

DL9XN

Post by DL9XN » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:32 am

Hi Roger and all other,
Thank you for your comments. Sorry, I guess I should have been clearer.
Yes, in the 1st post i wrote it doesn't works. Ther was the radio in the descriped situation afterflashing with GD-77 V4.3.9 (Ham version) from the Radioddity site.
>"Ihe radio starts with the message: "Settings update". But the radio does not respond to any keystroke, it hangs".

After my 1st post i tried to flash with "GD-77_V4.3.6.sgl". After this flash I see in sthe screen the two frequencies and can receive and transmit on it.
But i can't change or swirch these frequencies and the radio response only for one or two times key pressures, but only very slowly.
Today i installed GD-77 V4.3.9 again and the radio shows the "Settings update" screen.
With the latest CPS-Software i can go in the "OpenGD77 Support" Mode. If i click "Backup settings" the radio switch an shows me the screen with two frequencies and the computer save a setting.dat file.
But if i turn the radio off an on again, i see furthermore the "Settings update" screen.

Maybe it can be a way to solve the problem if i use the Restore funktions.
But the problem is, i don't have these backup-files (EEPROM, settings, flash and Calibration).
Could it be a senseful way if i restore my radio with backups from an other Ham?
Dieter

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:43 am

DL9XN wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:32 am
With the latest CPS-Software i can go in the "OpenGD77 Support" Mode. If i click "Backup settings" the radio switch an shows me the screen with two frequencies and the computer save a setting.dat file.
I've never heard of "OpenGD77 Support" mode or "Backup settings" in the official CPS

This must be something new they added. We have no communcation with Radioddity, so have no idea what these functions do

As Daniel has stated in his email, Radioddity have a bad track record for screwing up the lock / signature bytes that the bootloader examines to determine whether it will reload new firmware.

If these bytes are ever erased, the radio will no longer be able to be updated, without it being disassembled and the CPU completely erased and a modified version of the bootloader being installed using a hardware programmer tool, like JLink.

Anyway, it sounds like you never installed the OpenGD77 firmware on this radio, and all the problems you are experiencing are with new versions of the official firmware.

So I don't understand why you posted the question to this forum which is exclusively for the OpenGD77 firmware

Please can you confirm if you are using the OpenGD77 firmware, and if not, you need to contact Radioddity

Note. I have now moved this thread to the Off Topic section, as it does not appear to be related to the OpenGD77 firmware or CPS

DL9XN

Post by DL9XN » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:07 am

I am confused!
I load here the newest CPS: --> OpenGD77CPSInstaller_R2023.06.25.01.exe
After install this software i find in menu "Extras" the option: "OpenGD77 Support".
Am I the only one who sees the menu?

I can't understand the step to move this topic in the Off-topic folder.

73 de Dieter

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:33 am

DL9XN wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:07 am
I am confused!
I load here the newest CPS: --> OpenGD77CPSInstaller_R2023.06.25.01.exe
After install this software i find in menu "Extras" the option: "OpenGD77 Support".
Am I the only one who sees the menu?

I can't understand the step to move this topic in the Off-topic folder.

73 de Dieter
But you can't load the official firmware with this CPS.

The official firmware is only used as a 'donor' firmware for the AMBE codec.
Only version 4.3.6 can be uses as the donor firmware. So I don't understand your references to installing version 4.3.9
Today i installed GD-77 V4.3.9 again and the radio shows the "Settings update" screen.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:48 am

Topic moved to GD77 section, as it appears to be related to OpenGD77 firmware installation