Startup Screen DM-5R

W7ML

Startup Screen DM-5R

Post by W7ML » Wed May 31, 2023 4:14 pm

I like to put my phone number into the startup screen, in case my HT is lost or stolen.

Since installation of the Open Firmware, there is no longer a startup screen.

I skimmed the manual but could not find a discussion of this issue.

SA0BUX

Re: Startup Screen DM-5R

Post by SA0BUX » Wed May 31, 2023 4:45 pm

W7ML wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 4:14 pm
I like to put my phone number into the startup screen, in case my HT is lost or stolen.

Since installation of the Open Firmware, there is no longer a startup screen.

I skimmed the manual but could not find a discussion of this issue.
In CPS you have "Boot Item" where you have two lines that is displayed at boot (maybe not if you use a picture)

One drawback is that these two lines seems to be used for sending Talker Alias TX so it's probably not good to put phone number there.
The text of Line1 and Line2 from the "Boot Item" CPS screen is used for this transmission, with no space between the Line1 and Line2 data.
https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... e.md#ta-tx
Last edited by SA0BUX on Wed May 31, 2023 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Wed May 31, 2023 4:58 pm

Hi,
That's true, the two lines are used as talker alias.
Hence, you can create a boot image, and write the text down it, using your preferred drawing software.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

W7ML

Post by W7ML » Wed May 31, 2023 7:41 pm

Thank you for the warning not to use my phone number as text.
F1RMB wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 4:58 pm
Hence, you can create a boot image, and write the text down it, using your preferred drawing software.
I see the choice of Picture or Text, but how do I enter the picture. Do I create it as a jpeg or png?

What exactly is "talker alias?"

My telephone number has already been in there; so what do receiving stations see?

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Wed May 31, 2023 8:57 pm

W7ML wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:41 pm
Thank you for the warning not to use my phone number as text.
F1RMB wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 4:58 pm
I see the choice of Picture or Text, but how do I enter the picture. Do I create it as a jpeg or png?

What exactly is "talker alias?"

My telephone number has already been in there; so what do receiving stations see?
Talker Alias is sent in the DMR frames and is some text string that have been defined in the radio, normally callsign,name etc. , but only if have enabled it.

According to the manual it is set in "Radio Options TA Tx " but it seems that it have moved into options per channel (TA TX TS1/TS2 )
where you can choose sending APRS,Text or Both per TS.
TA Tx
Enables transmission of Talker Alias data.

Note:

Talker Alias reception is always operational. Do not enable this feature because you are not receiving TA data, as it does not control TA Rx.
The text of Line1 and Line2 from the "Boot Item" CPS screen is used for this transmission, with no space between the Line1 and Line2 data.

Note:

Use of this feature will cause problems on Motorola based repeaters and networks, and should only be used for simplex and possibly on Brandmeister and other networks which correctly support Talker Alias.