RD-5R codeplug to OpenRD-5R codeplug; firmware install

W7ML

Re: RD-5R codeplug to OpenRD-5R codeplug; firmware install

Post by W7ML » Tue May 30, 2023 7:20 pm

W7ML wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:03 am
I see that the Radioddity 4.3.6 firmware must be installed first; do we know that this works on the Baofeng DM-5R?
OK: I am slowing getting to understand some of the confusion here.

I used the phrase: "must be installed first..."

Remember, I am a Newbie when it comes to this procedure and I appreciate all the advice!

Looking at the image included with the Installation instructions, it has a box labeled: "Select Firmware v.4.3.6" which is physically located just next to another box labeled: "Firmware Installation Instructions"

So in my Newbie defense, I apologize for "confusing" that the Radioddity v4.3.6 Firmware was being "installed" by your software.
Last edited by W7ML on Tue May 30, 2023 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W7ML

Post by W7ML » Tue May 30, 2023 7:22 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:19 am
We're quite far from your original question, about Baofeng's original firmware (which is off topic, BTW) ;)
I updated the title of this thread so as to help future Newbies like me find these answers. Again thank you, Daniel!

G4EML

Re: RD-5R codeplug to OpenRD-5R codeplug

Post by G4EML » Tue May 30, 2023 7:27 pm

The original firmware in the radio is software protected to prevent it being read. So it is not possible to make a copy of it. This is nothing to do with OpenGD77, it is the way the radio was designed.

If you need to restore the original firmware you must obtain a copy from the radio manufacturer which will contain the necessary download utility and instructions. This is the same procedure you would follow to update the original firmware.

The recommended backup of the flash memory is nothing to do with the firmware itself. It is more to do with saving the radios operational settings.

W7ML

Post by W7ML » Tue May 30, 2023 7:36 pm

G4EML wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 7:27 pm
The original firmware in the radio is software protected to prevent it being read. So it is not possible to make a copy of it. This is nothing to do with OpenGD77, it is the way the radio was designed.
This is fascinating!

Is there a link to describe how you guys figured out how to "reverse engineer" the Open firmware without having access to the original software protected firmware?

And PS: I always loved the utility of your CSV converters; thank you!

Have you ever seen the 3 part documentary Triumph of the Nerds by Robert X Cringely? Another fascinating look at the personal computer revolution looking back from about 1996.

W7ML

Post by W7ML » Wed May 31, 2023 12:37 am

W7ML wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 7:20 pm
Looking at the image included with the Installation instructions, it has a box labeled: "Select Firmware v.4.3.6" which is physically located just next to another box labeled: "Firmware Installation Instructions"
I note on the Radioddity website that the latest update to firmware is 4.3.9 (Ham version).

Is that ok to use?

UPDATE: Never mind - I decided to go forward with version 4.3.6 as indicated.

W7ML

Post by W7ML » Wed May 31, 2023 3:17 am

OK: thank you to all!

I successfully installed the OpenRD5R.bin firmware with the addition of GD-77_V4.3.6.sgl, as required and for a Codeplug I used W9YA's plug that he sent me earlier in this thread with some changes:

My Call Sign and Digital ID, of course

I took out three of his DMR local repeaters and replaced them with 3 of my local DMR repeaters and added my favorite TalkGroups. I can access some of my TGs and Local, but Parrot is not working.

I took out some of his local Analog Repeaters and replaced them with some of my local analog Repeaters, but I have not yet tested those.

So now I will focus on the Manual and expand my use of the OpenRD5R - again, thank you!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed May 31, 2023 6:15 am

The open firmware has to directly integrate / patch into to a specific version of the official firmware to get the AMBE codec

Hence why you must use the version of the official / donor firmware, which the open firmware is designed to work with.

The way the open firmware intergrates with the oficial donor firmware is non-trivial from a technical standpoint

W7ML

Post by W7ML » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:24 am

W9YA wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 2:14 pm
IF'n all ya'all want to see how we do it here; here's "da link":

https://www.qsl.net/nm5sh/files/generic_abq_230310.g77
So indeed, I have been using your sample Codeplug with additions and modifications for my purposes on my DM-5R.

Yesterday, I decided to look at Brandmeister Hoseline while testing some TalkGroups after manual entry, and

I notice that the Hoseline identifies me as: "KL5T - Larry" even though I entered my Callsign and Digital Number in the appropriate spot in the codeplug!

Where is this call coming from? Is he related to you somehow?

Update: Using my RD-5R with its normal codeplug, the Hoseline shows my correct call and name.

W9YA

Post by W9YA » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:11 pm

W7ML wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:24 am
W9YA wrote:

So indeed, I have been using your sample Codeplug with additions and modifications for my purposes on my DM-5R.

Yesterday, I decided to look at Brandmeister Hoseline while testing some TalkGroups after manual entry, and

I notice that the Hoseline identifies me as: "KL5T - Larry" even though I entered my Callsign and Digital Number in the appropriate spot in the codeplug!

Update: Using my RD-5R with its normal codeplug, the Hoseline shows my correct call and name.
Nope.....

Many people here locally use that code plug without issue, so my first guess is it is something you did or did not do when incorporating the codeplugs. Perhaps doing a parameters reset might help.

es vy 73 om de "Baab" w9ya

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:11 pm

W7ML wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:24 am
W9YA wrote:

Check what is configured in "Boot Screen" in the CPS, seems that this data is used for the Talker Alias if TA Tx is enabled on a channel.

I think that it would be better to define TA text separately as you may want to use the Boot screen for displaying you phone number or other
info that may help if your device is lost.