RD-5R codeplug to OpenRD-5R codeplug; firmware install

W7ML

Re: RD-5R codeplug to OpenRD-5R codeplug

Post by W7ML » Tue May 30, 2023 5:03 am

I see that the Radioddity 4.3.6 firmware must be installed first; do we know that this works on the Baofeng DM-5R?

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue May 30, 2023 5:06 am

W7ML wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 4:55 am
F1RMB wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 4:53 am
Since you want to have a copy of the manufacturer's firmware, yes (with associated tools).
We aren't providing any, as we are only focused on the OpenGD77 firmware/CPS.
... anyway, who want to use the genuine firmware ? :D ...
thank you: Are we allowed to resell the HT with your software already installed on it?

Nobody here wants the option to go back if necessary?
Sure you can, if you follow the rules, like making a copy of the Flash/EEPROM etc, after OpenGD77 firmware installation (all steps are listed in the installation procedure). You'll be able to flash the MANUFACTURER's firmware, using the MANUFACTURER's tools.
What's wrong with this ?

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue May 30, 2023 5:11 am

W7ML wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:03 am
I see that the Radioddity 4.3.6 firmware must be installed first; do we know that this works on the Baofeng DM-5R?
Wrong, this a donor firmware, installation of the Radioddity's firmware is never mentionned anywhere.

EDIT: I think you need to re-read the installation procedure for GD-77/DM-1801/... and RD-5R, here

W7ML

Post by W7ML » Tue May 30, 2023 5:15 am

F1RMB wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:11 am
W7ML wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:03 am
Wrong, this a donor firmware, installation of the Radioddity's firmware is never mentionned anywhere.

EDIT: I think you need to re-read the installation procedure for GD-77/DM-1801/... and RD-5R, here
I was just following these instructions:
For legal reasons the OpenGD77 firmware no longer contains the binary sections, from the official Radioddity firmware, which provide the DMR / AMBE codec functionality

To use the OpenGD77 firmware with DMR functionality, must manually download and unzip the official "Firmware and software" package and extract the GD-77_V4.3.6.sgl file, so that the Firmware loader can merge the OpenGD77 firmware with the codec from the official firmware

On the Radioddity website, Support for Radioddity radios page https://www.radioddity.com/pages/radioddity-download Click on the GD77, and select the "GD-77 Firmware V4.3.6 [Ham Version]" link.
At the moment this is the link directly to this download the zip file: https://radioddity.s3.amazonaws.com/202 ... ersion.zip

After downloading the file, extact the GD-77_V4.3.6.sgl file from the "Firmware software V4.3.6" folder

In the CPS, Firmware loader screen, you must first select the location you saved the GD-77_V4.3.6.sgl file, by pressing the "Select Firmware v4.3.6" button. After the location of the file is selected the CPS will remember the location of the file and use it for all future upload of firmware to the radio

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue May 30, 2023 5:19 am

Then ?
You need to "Select Firmware v4.3.6", where is it written that you have to FLASH it ?
You can't even do it.

We're quite far from your original question, about Baofeng's original firmware (which is off topic, BTW) ;)

W7ML

Post by W7ML » Tue May 30, 2023 5:22 am

I am not allowed to continue with further questions? I have to start a new Topic each time?!

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue May 30, 2023 5:53 am

W7ML wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:22 am
I am not allowed to continue with further questions? I have to start a new Topic each time?!
I bet there are some others RD-5R firmware topics on the forum, this one (you created) is about the the codeplug (think about other users looking for information about RD-5R firmware, they will search associated topics, not codeplug ones).

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue May 30, 2023 10:55 am

W9YA wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 2:14 pm
Well yes this will work UNTIL you have a TG that on one repeater is on one TS and on another repeater is on the other TS. -> We have 9 DMR repeaters on three different networks in my local area, and (ehem) this configuring the TG to a specific TS and a repeater to ONLY ONE channel (setting) would be a problem. (So we don't....hi hi.)

IF'n all ya'all want to see how we do it here; here's "da link":

https://www.qsl.net/nm5sh/files/generic_abq_230310.g77

es vy 73 om's de "baab" w9ya
G4EML wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:17 am
OpenGD77 simplifies the codeplug by only needing one channel per repeater. This is configured with the frequencies and colour code and a 'TG List' which is set up separately. That TG list contains all of the talkgroups you may wish to use on that repeater. The same TG list can be used for several repeaters. Talkgroups can be assigned to a specific timeslot or left unassigned.

In use you select the repeater you require using the channel selector, then select the talkgroup you wish to use using the arrow keys. If the talkgroup is assigned to a specific timeslot it will be selected automatically. If the timeslot is unassigned you can select it manually using the star key.
So you make 2 digital contacts for that TG e.g.

TG1234 TS1 and
TG1234 TS2

Digtital contacts can have a TS override

and you can still have TG1234 which does not specify a TG override as well

W9YA

Post by W9YA » Tue May 30, 2023 12:19 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 10:55 am
W9YA wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 2:14 pm
Well yes this will work UNTIL you have a TG that on one repeater is on one TS and on another repeater is on the other TS. -> We have 9 DMR repeaters on three different networks in my local area, and (ehem) this configuring the TG to a specific TS and a repeater to ONLY ONE channel (setting) would be a problem. (So we don't....hi hi.)

IF'n all ya'all want to see how we do it here; here's "da link":

https://www.qsl.net/nm5sh/files/generic_abq_230310.g77

es vy 73 om's de "baab" w9ya
G4EML wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:17 am
OpenGD77 simplifies the codeplug by only needing one channel per repeater. This is configured with the frequencies and colour code and a 'TG List' which is set up separately. That TG list contains all of the talkgroups you may wish to use on that repeater. The same TG list can be used for several repeaters. Talkgroups can be assigned to a specific timeslot or left unassigned.

In use you select the repeater you require using the channel selector, then select the talkgroup you wish to use using the arrow keys. If the talkgroup is assigned to a specific timeslot it will be selected automatically. If the timeslot is unassigned you can select it manually using the star key.
So you make 2 digital contacts for that TG e.g.

TG1234 TS1 and
TG1234 TS2

Digtital contacts can have a TS override

and you can still have TG1234 which does not specify a TG override as well
Yep, exactly, one could do TS assignments EITHER &/or ANY-WHICH-A way(s) ! Perhaps I SHOULD have said as much. Mea culpa. Here's a more detailed explanation of what I was getting at;

1) I was trying to point out the "situation" you would now have; wherein there are several different entries for the same TG. I could handle it, but I am not sure I would like to handle that. (Really, I am not sure I would like that... !)

2) When I made the codeplug for Albuquerque, I **also** had to consider the end user to be a "newbie". SO, the codeplug has ONLY one "contact" per TG. I then took the approach of one Channel per TS and TG lists to resolve what TGs are associated with said Channel's TS.

We discussed this in another thread a long time ago herein and the OVERRIDING points for me are:

- The software is VERY versatile. (And can accommodate different approaches.)
- The end user probably shouldn't be faced with the same TG having several different entries in the Contact-List if'n they are "newbies". <- Again, I am not poo-pooing G4EML's methods, just what problems it would present for newbies. I should have said as much for clarity. Again mea culpa.

es vy 73 OM's de "Baab", w9ya

W7ML

Re: RD-5R codeplug to OpenRD-5R codeplug; firmware install

Post by W7ML » Tue May 30, 2023 6:53 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 5:06 am
W7ML wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 4:55 am
F1RMB wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 4:53 am
Since you want to have a copy of the manufacturer's firmware, yes (with associated tools).
We aren't providing any, as we are only focused on the OpenGD77 firmware/CPS.
... anyway, who want to use the genuine firmware ? :D ...
thank you: Are we allowed to resell the HT with your software already installed on it?

Nobody here wants the option to go back if necessary?
Sure you can, if you follow the rules, like making a copy of the Flash/EEPROM etc, after OpenGD77 firmware installation (all steps are listed in the installation procedure). You'll be able to flash the MANUFACTURER's firmware, using the MANUFACTURER's tools.
What's wrong with this ?
So we can sell the HT with OpenFirmware still on it?

Could you please give me a link to the installation procedure that describes how to flash the Manufacturer's firmware? Thank you.

I am a little confused because your statement seems to imply that I can still "flash" or make a copy of the manufacturer's firmware AFTER I have already installed the OpenFirmware.
Last edited by W7ML on Tue May 30, 2023 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.