RD-5R codeplug to OpenRD-5R codeplug; firmware install

W7ML

RD-5R codeplug to OpenRD-5R codeplug; firmware install

Post by W7ML » Thu May 25, 2023 2:48 am

After years of building the nerve to attempt this project on my RD-5R, I am finally ready with a twist:

I wanted to obtain a 2nd unit to experiment with in case I screw up. Radioddity no longer sells the RD-5R, so I obtained a DM-5R MkII from AliExpress directly from China and it arrived today.

I have a complete codeplug programmed into my RD-5R and of course keep a copy ready to update, etc.

How do I convert the traditional RD-5R codeplug to the newer format required for this project?

Someone said I could convert the traditional RD-5R codeplug into a traditional GD-77 codeplug and that would work. Is that correct?

I believe that over the years I did find a "converter" for RD-5R back and forth to GD-77 and I will look for it on my copy of Windows.

Thank you.
Last edited by W7ML on Tue May 30, 2023 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VK3KYY

Re: RD-5R codeplug to OpenRD-5R codeplug

Post by VK3KYY » Thu May 25, 2023 8:41 pm

Export the channels from the RD5R CPS to CSV using the Baofeng COS

Using the OpenGD77 CPS use the CSV Export function to make template/template openGD77 CSV files

Use a spreadsheet to cut and paste the Baofeng CSV data , into the correct columns in the OpenGD77 CSV channels file

Import the CSV files using the OpengGD77 CPS

Also, you should take this opportunity to simplify your codeplug if you have multiple channels with the same frequency but different TG, because using the OpengGD77 firmware this is handled differently.. See the OpenGD77 User Guide section about codeplugs and CPS

W7ML

Post by W7ML » Fri May 26, 2023 12:13 am

Thank you very much.

I see I have the G4EML CSV exporters/importers for both the RD-5R and GD-77.

Do these offer me any utility for what you suggest?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri May 26, 2023 12:19 am

W7ML wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 12:13 am
Thank you very much.

I see I have the G4EML CSV exporters/importers for both the RD-5R and GD-77.

Do these offer me any utility for what you suggest?
G4EML tools are now built into the OpenGD77 CPS

W7ML

Post by W7ML » Fri May 26, 2023 4:14 pm

Nice!

Thank you again.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Fri May 26, 2023 5:39 pm

You may be able to use my RD5R tool to generate some CSV files. However the file format is not exactly the same as that used by the opengd77 CPS. So you will still need to do some manual editing to get the columns in each file to match.

As Roger says, to make the best use of the new features of OpenGD77 I would recommend writing a new codeplug from scratch.

Colin G4EML.

W7ML

Post by W7ML » Sat May 27, 2023 6:04 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 8:41 pm
Also, you should take this opportunity to simplify your codeplug if you have multiple channels with the same frequency but different TG, because using the OpengGD77 firmware this is handled differently.. See the OpenGD77 User Guide section about codeplugs and CPS
In my existing RD-5R codeplug, each repeater can be listed with as many two dozen entries for the various TalkGroups that I hope to potentially chat with. My understand is that these need to be "collapsed" down; but to how many?

Ultimately there are two different Repeater Slots, 1 or 2, depending upon the specific TalkGroup. Do I collapse down to two, one of each TalkGroup?

This question is pertinent even if I write the codeplug from scratch.

Also, I note that /gd77/downloads/ offers me OPENRD5R.bin and OPENGD77.bin but the latest release of the OPENCPS software (R2023.5.8.01) will not open .bin files.

So, even if I start from scratch, don't I need a "shell" file to open to start with properly?

OE1MWW

Post by OE1MWW » Sat May 27, 2023 7:41 am

W7ML wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 6:04 am
Also, I note that /gd77/downloads/ offers me OPENRD5R.bin and OPENGD77.bin but the latest release of the OPENCPS software (R2023.5.8.01) will not open .bin files.
The *.bin files are the firmware files. In /downloads there are no codeplugs
*.bin files are loaded in the OpenGD77CPS.exe via 'Extras' 'Firmware loader'.

For first try to load the firmware, you need a 'donor' file (the original firmware) too.
Details are in https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... r_Guide.md
Your RD-5R must be in the 'firmware update mode' (see manual)

Saved and to be loaded Codeplugs are the *.G77 files. Your RD-5R must be connected in the 'normal' mode for transfer.
For the first step, start OpenGD77CPS and select 'File' 'New' and next 'File' 'CSV' 'Export to CSV'. The OpenGD77CPS will create
empty *.CSV templates you can fill / merge with your existing tables using EXCEL and re-import with OpenGD77CPS into a codeplug.
If you are happy with it, save the codeplug as a *.G77 file and load the codeplug into yor RD-5R using the symbol with the red arrow.

Btw. OpenGD77CPS does not support collapsible entries. If you want to listen/scan to all TG and all time slots, use
the 'promiscuous mode'. Info can be found in the manual / link above.

good luck

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Sat May 27, 2023 10:17 am

OpenGD77 simplifies the codeplug by only needing one channel per repeater. This is configured with the frequencies and colour code and a 'TG List' which is set up separately. That TG list contains all of the talkgroups you may wish to use on that repeater. The same TG list can be used for several repeaters. Talkgroups can be assigned to a specific timeslot or left unassigned.

In use you select the repeater you require using the channel selector, then select the talkgroup you wish to use using the arrow keys. If the talkgroup is assigned to a specific timeslot it will be selected automatically. If the timeslot is unassigned you can select it manually using the star key.

W9YA

Post by W9YA » Sat May 27, 2023 2:14 pm

Well yes this will work UNTIL you have a TG that on one repeater is on one TS and on another repeater is on the other TS. -> We have 9 DMR repeaters on three different networks in my local area, and (ehem) this configuring the TG to a specific TS and a repeater to ONLY ONE channel (setting) would be a problem. (So we don't....hi hi.)

IF'n all ya'all want to see how we do it here; here's "da link":

https://www.qsl.net/nm5sh/files/generic_abq_230310.g77

es vy 73 om's de "baab" w9ya
G4EML wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:17 am
OpenGD77 simplifies the codeplug by only needing one channel per repeater. This is configured with the frequencies and colour code and a 'TG List' which is set up separately. That TG list contains all of the talkgroups you may wish to use on that repeater. The same TG list can be used for several repeaters. Talkgroups can be assigned to a specific timeslot or left unassigned.

In use you select the repeater you require using the channel selector, then select the talkgroup you wish to use using the arrow keys. If the talkgroup is assigned to a specific timeslot it will be selected automatically. If the timeslot is unassigned you can select it manually using the star key.