GD77 Dual Scan

vk3tbs

GD77 Dual Scan

Post by vk3tbs » Thu May 04, 2023 4:39 am

Love the project and what has been achieved.
When I travel all over Australia, I try to put in all the repeaters I pass, but often it is hard to be sure you have them all until you are there.

I often put the radio on scan, and scan the band, or the part of the band where the repeaters are. But I can only do 2m or 70cm at once. I must pull over and set it up for the other band if I want to check the other band which waste travel time.

Given the GD77 is a dual band radio, it would be great if I could program a scan to scan the 2m repeaters, then scan the 70cm ones, before returning back to 2m. It could just tick away by itself. The only other way is to have two radios.

Just an idea.

F1RMB

Re: GD77 Dual Scan

Post by F1RMB » Thu May 04, 2023 5:01 am

Hi,

Create a zone with all repeaters (80 channels per zone, 68 zones, + "All Channels" zone).

Cheers.
---
Daniel

VK3KYY

Re: GD77 Dual Scan

Post by VK3KYY » Thu May 04, 2023 6:13 am

There is a hard limit of the numbers of repeaters per zone of 80. We can't change this becasue of the structure of the codeplug has fixed size data areas.

We were able to increase the number of channels in a zone to 80, but we already had to reduce the total number of zones, to keep the total zone data size the same.

I doubt that any state in AU has more than 80 repeaters in it, so your best option is to make a zone per state and put all the repeaters for that state into that zone, albeit this will be both 2m and 70cm FM and 70cm DMR repeaters.

The codeplug format does not have a data structure where there are groups of zones, and I think if we attempted to implement this, the majority of people would find it confusing to have to setup a zone group for and then add zones to that group, and then channels to that zone.

Or as Daniel has suggested, just scan all the channels in the radio.