GD-77 Switch official firmware language to English

kk7dnf

GD-77 Switch official firmware language to English

Post by kk7dnf » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:20 pm

I am testing SMS compatibility between several HT's and have reverted my GD-77 back to stock firmware 4.3.6 for testing. The firmware download appears to have went successfully. The HT boots and the software loads, but everything is in Chinese language. I have looked through all the CPS options and attempted to load an older Code Plug, but everything is still in chinese. I am hoping somebody can provide instructions on how to switch languages in the software. I have attempted to go through various different menu options and switch them to find English language with no success. Any help would be appreciated.

SA0BUX

Re: GD-77 Switch language to English

Post by SA0BUX » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:35 pm

Maybe such language settings are kept somewhere else in the flash and set on the factory with some other customization tool?

Have you restored the old flash backup file?

Otherwise may be you can use the flash backup from another GD 77 that had English menus.

kk7dnf

Post by kk7dnf » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:42 pm

Unfortunately I cannot track down my eeprom/mcu backup. I know I backed them up according to the install procedure, but for the life of me cannot locate them. Not a huge deal. I can still install the latest OpenGD77 so the HT is plenty usable. I just unfortunately cannot go back to the stock firmware to do any testing. I'm hesitant to install another device's backup since I am currently able to go back and forth between the stock firmware and OpenGD77 without issue.(Besides the glaring issue of not being able to use it due to chinese language that is :) )

SA0BUX

Post by SA0BUX » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:20 pm

Just learn Chinese, should be easy :D

kk7dnf

Re: GD-77 Switch official firmware language to English

Post by kk7dnf » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:59 am

Got it. Restored eeprom. Back to English.