Test version that has default squelch for VHF,220Mhz and UHF

VK3KYY

Test version that has default squelch for VHF,220Mhz and UHF

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:15 am

Now that scanning is working and we have 80 channels per zone, I know that a lot of people have been using the radio as a scanner.

I've noticed when scanning that the squelch level is often either too tight and was only adjustable if I changed the squelch override on each channel individually and then went into the Channel Details screen in order to save the squelch setting, as its not saved when you merely change channels as that would be likely to cause the Flash memory to wear out quite quickly, because it only had a limited number of Erase / Write cycles , albeit around 20,000 cycles

Anyway. The real problem was that the default squelch level could not be adjusted, as it was "hard coded" in the firmware.

So I set about making the squelch adjustable, but realised that I needed different default squelch settings for VHF, 220Mhz and UHF because the noise thresholds on each band is different because of the differences in the RF performance on each of those bands.

I then realised that every time the squelch RSSI / noise comparison function ran, which is around 1000 times a second, and each time it would need to check which bands was in use for Rx, and this is done by comparing the Rx frequency with the hardware band start and end frequencies (not the Ham band limits)

Checking which band the frequency is in, all the time is very inefficient, so the simple change to add default squelch, required a major overhaul of the way the firmware handles which band its on.....

Anyway. The new options look like this.
squelch_defaults.png
squelch_defaults.png (4.07 KiB) Viewed 5180 times
They are percentage squelch, and the default is 45% which was the value that had been hard coded.

On a channel or VFO, where the custom squelch has not been set, this variable squelch setting will apply.

You can test this by going to a FM channel (which does not have a custom squelch setting), and then in the Options, change the default squelch , and you will notice if you reduce the squelch that the squelch should eventually open and the green LED come on the audio amp is enabled.

Note.
On the VFO, its likely that you may already have adjusted the squelch, in which case its then treated as a custom squelch channel and this setting will not apply to it, unless you go into the CPU and disable the "Open GD77 squelch level" setting, and upload the codeplug back to the radio

As this version made so may changes, I'm not going to upload it to the "Latest", but I'd appreciate it if people can try this version and let me know if they have any problems on DMR, or FM, including using DTMF and 1750Hz tone and CTCSS etc etc

PS. This version also has some other changes from Alex and Daniel, including enabling pull-up resistors on the keypad in an attempt to help some radios which have keypad problems, as well as adding a small delay to allow for keypad column strobe voltages to stabilise, as well as also changing the display when an override TG as been entered. etc
Attachments

[The extension sgl has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

m1dyp

Re: Test version that has default squelch for VHF,220Mhz and UHF

Post by m1dyp » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:39 pm

tested 1750hz, ctcss, dtmf and dmr

all good.

thank you :mrgreen:

and im loving the screen layouts too

HI8NLO

Post by HI8NLO » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Tested everything and it seems to be working very well. Scanning also working beautifully on both DMR and FM. I'll keep testing and let you know if something comes up

HI8NLO

Post by HI8NLO » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:41 pm

OK. I spoke too fast.

When in DMR VFO mode, no filter, the radio is showing the TGs present in the TG List (even if the frequency is not associated with any known channel). Also, if on an unknown (not stored) frequency on VFO the TG is showing as an existing TG (it should be showing 0).

To give additional context, I'm attaching a screengrab.

On the previous version of the firmware, the same frequency would show TG as 0 (because is a commercial frequency, not an amateur one)
l.png
l.png (1.33 KiB) Viewed 5134 times

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:48 pm

I don't think that is a bug. We are amateur radio operators, it should behave with out "standards".
I don't need it showing TG 0, ever. I need only really available TGs and PCs, including "all call".

Ik0nwg

Post by Ik0nwg » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:53 pm

perfect, you're great.
Thanks
Sal

M6SEU

Post by M6SEU » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi.
Working ok so far not had any issues but will keep working at it.
I have a very early GD77.
Stellar work lads Cheers Matt.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:42 pm

Thanks.

I will probably update the Latest with this version later today

VK6NJP

Post by VK6NJP » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:35 pm

Thanks Roger.

KU4ZD