RD-5R Cannot connect to radio

G4EML

Re: RD-5R Cannot connect to radio

Post by G4EML » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:03 pm

Are you sure you are using the correct cable? The RD5R cable is wired differently to the GD77.

DO3HB

Post by DO3HB » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:46 am

The UV-5R cable does not work with RD5!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:39 pm

kengreen wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:14 pm
I have a DM-5R radio that I am trying to update. it has OpenRD5R firmware from Oct 16,2020 ce0e010. I have tried OpenGD77 software but cannot connect to the radio with the cable I got with the radio. It will go into programming mode by turning on with the two side buttons pressed, No display and green led on. Device manager shows Com port 3 open but not OpenGD77. I need help
In firmware update mode the radio enumerates as a USB HID device. look in the device manager and child check a new HID device appears when you plug in the radio

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:55 pm

kengreen wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:47 am
With the radio connected in programming mode (dark screen, green led), I have 4 HID devices listed. Without the radio I have 3. The new HID device is not labled but has port 0012 and hub 0001. how do I connect the radio to the computer using the new HID device? the software, OpenGD77, only allows COM port. Do I need to specify the port and hub in the .config file? Assuming that I can connect the radio to the computer software, I need to update the firmware and change the channels, talkgroups, etc
Update the CPS to the latest version

The update the firmware to the latest Beta

Then use the CPS to update the channels etc

G7UAY

Post by G7UAY » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:32 pm

Hi, I get this but its the RD-5R sockets. I need to strip it down and resolder them. Giving the plug a little wiggle fixes it.

CU7BE

Post by CU7BE » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:29 pm

Hi,

I have received today a new Baofeng DM-5R.
And it was in the box a USB cable.
Tried original software to read radio, even in COM 1 but even CPS cant mske good connection to the radio.
Cant read it, so cant programme it.
I wold like to update for opengd77. Like i have done for my retevis rt3s. But how i csn do it, if it says cant findvthe radio?

Can you or anyone help?

CU7BE

Best regards

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:47 am

1. COM port is not used for firmware uploads. In bootloader / update mode, compatible radios are a HID device
2. Only DM-5R MK2 Tier 2 is supported. I did not think DM-5R was still manufacturered, I thought Baofeng renamed this radio to RD-5R. Hence see the information on this site that only RD-5R is supported

If you radio is a Tier 2 DM-5R then just put the radio into firmware update mode, by following the instructions in the OpenGD77 User Guide and use the OpenGD77 CPS to install the RD-5R firmware

However if you radio is not a renamed RD-5R then it can't be updated

KD9WNR

Post by KD9WNR » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:43 pm

I recently purchased a DM-5R on Aliexpress. It was advertised as "2019 Model"... It is Tier II. I just finished updating the Firmware and doing a Read/Write to the radio from the CPS. All I can say is it all went without a glitch... After I found the K2 plug was not fully seated! I kept trying the FW update and the OEM CPS and was frustrated the radio would not connect... DUH!

Haven't written a full code plug yet, but I kerchunked my hotspot successfully. I can testify that OpenGD77 will install on at least some Tier II DM-5Rs. Note: Out of the box at boot up, the radio displayed "BF-5R"; I saw this in another post. No worries; just something else to confuse us. I just changed it to my callsign :D

Kudos to the developers!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:39 am

KD9WNR wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:43 pm
I recently purchased a DM-5R on Aliexpress. It was advertised as "2019 Model"... It is Tier II. I just finished updating the Firmware and doing a Read/Write to the radio from the CPS. All I can say is it all went without a glitch... After I found the K2 plug was not fully seated! I kept trying the FW update and the OEM CPS and was frustrated the radio would not connect... DUH!

Haven't written a full code plug yet, but I kerchunked my hotspot successfully. I can testify that OpenGD77 will install on at least some Tier II DM-5Rs. Note: Out of the box at boot up, the radio displayed "BF-5R"; I saw this in another post. No worries; just something else to confuse us. I just changed it to my callsign :D

Kudos to the developers!

I think as long as it claims to be Tier II, then the hardware should be compatible, but the whole thing about the radio displaying BF-5R is confusing, as some UV-5R's are listed as BF-5R and they are an FM only radio

Just to add to the confusion there were some Tier 1 DM-5R's produced.

So I guess its buyer beware, but if you can pick one of these up at a hamfest for a few dollars, it may be worth the risk that its not compatible