CPS Localization into Italian

iv3bvk

CPS Localization into Italian

Post by iv3bvk » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:05 pm

Hi everyone, I'm interested in collaborating by localizing the CPS in Italian.
I await information to start the collaboration.

'73 de Paolo IV3BVK

F1RMB

Re: CPS Localization into Italian

Post by F1RMB » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:59 pm

iv3bvk wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:05 pm
Hi everyone, I'm interested in collaborating by localizing the CPS in Italian.
I await information to start the collaboration.

'73 de Paolo IV3BVK
Hi,

First of all, you need to translate all the text in an XML file. In the directory where the CPS has been installed, you'll find a subdirectory names "Language". Pick one XML file (e.g the English.xml), rename it, make translations then post it here, it will be integrated.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

IZ2EIB

Post by IZ2EIB » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:33 pm

@IV3BVK

Hi Paolo.
I am dumb as hell but in the end I understood how to do it (https://opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=13 ... 790#p18805), so I am carrying out the translation, the only problem is that lately I am very busy.
Honestly I did not understand the issue about changing line 6 (https://opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=13 ... xml#p12844), because https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... ish.xml#L6 no longer exists, but that is the last of the problems.
I would also like to understand the matter about the Italian.chm file, but that is the last thing I will deal with.
Anyway, thanks also to Daniel F1RMB for his kind help proposal.

73 best regards de Fabio IZ2EIB

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:57 pm

Fabio

To translate the chm file you need to convert it to individual HTML pages, using an exe from Microsoft. I forget the exact name of the exe, but I think its called the Help Compiler.

The Help Compiler can decompile chm to many HTML files, and also compioe the many HTML files to chm

I do not know if I have this exe on my PC, because I have not investigated the help system since about 2018

iv3bvk

Post by iv3bvk » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:52 am

@IZ2EIB

Hi Fabio,
if you are already thinking about it and have started this job, I can join or wait until you have completed it.
it is useless to do the job twice ...

73 best regards de Paolo IV3BVK

IZ2EIB wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:33 pm
@IV3BVK

Hi Paolo.
I am dumb as hell but in the end I understood how to do it (https://opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=13 ... 790#p18805), so I am carrying out the translation, the only problem is that lately I am very busy.
Honestly I did not understand the issue about changing line 6 (https://opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=13 ... xml#p12844), because https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... ish.xml#L6 no longer exists, but that is the last of the problems.
I would also like to understand the matter about the Italian.chm file, but that is the last thing I will deal with.
Anyway, thanks also to Daniel F1RMB for his kind help proposal.

iz2qdh

Post by iz2qdh » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:05 pm

Hi all
if you need help with italian translation count on me also

73 de IZ2QDH Fabio

IZ2EIB

Post by IZ2EIB » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:25 pm

@Paolo IV3BVK, @Fabio IZ2QDH

I appreciate your willingness, thank you both!

@All

I'm sorry for the silly question.
I'm going on with the translation of the Italian.XML file and I got a doubt.
Is there a limit of characters for the translation?
I ask for it because I saw that in some cases abbreviations are used, for example:

324 <Control Id="chkChFreeTone" Text="Channel Freq Indication Tone" />

684 <Control Id="lblRxFreq" Text="Rx Freq [MHz]" />

687 <Control Id="lblTxFreq" Text="Tx Freq [MHz]" />

Is it advisable to use abbreviations (Freq) in order not to exceed the number of characters allowed, or can the extensive form (Frequency) be used indifferently?
Thanks in advance.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:02 pm

You can check if the translated text fits on the screen by changing the XML file and restarting the CPS, Or by changing to English and back to Italian

IZ2EIB

Post by IZ2EIB » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:39 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:02 pm
You can check if the translated text fits on the screen by changing the XML file and restarting the CPS, Or by changing to English and back to Italian
Thank you Roger.
Honestly it is the same thing I also thought, but sadly it doesn't work for me.
If I replace the .XML file, or I modify one already present in the Language folder, then in the CPS its reference in the menu items disappears, it is no longer available.
Maybe because I use the portable version of the CPS and not the installed one?
I don't know.
In any case, I finished the Italian translation of the .XML file, but before I release it I would like to view a preview of it, just to fix things for the best.
While I translated the document into Italian, I noticed some typos in the English version, so simultaneously with the Italian translation I will also provide a revised and correct English version for what is my competence regarding the English language.
Of course, I will not fail to indicate line by line the corrections I introduced into the English document, just to avoid problems: four eyes or more see better than only two.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:32 pm

No rush. I do not have any spare time at the moment to work on the CPS or firmware

Re: Portable version

The XML files are always in the Languages folder which is in the same location as the CPS exe