See https://www.opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1949

kt4lh

Re: Public Beta (2021 11 14)

Post by kt4lh » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:54 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:41 pm
kt4lh wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:25 pm
I can't read from my my GD77 with this beta either, can anyone help me figure out what's going on? If I revert to the Nov 10 build, it's fine, but Nov 12 or this Nov it can't from the CPS or QDMR.

Huh, okay this is interesting, I've always kept my radio on Eco 4. If I change it to a lower Eco mode, it works. Would having it on Eco mode make it more likely to fail to connect to the radio for CPS download? It's working now for me most of the time in 4, but it still fails randomly.

Nobody else is having issues? I've tried my Anytone 878 on the same cable and a dozen downloads from it not a single failure so I don't think anything has happened to the cable. I have no problems downloading the firmware to the GD77, I've done that 4-5 times over the last few days, just downloading the codeplug from the radio. I haven't tried uploading a codeplug, however.
Does the radio appear as a com device at all.

Run the windows device manager and look at the com devices tree
Yep, when I looked yesterday or day before I was seeing it as a COM device as GD77, would close and re-launch the CPS and it couldn't read from it. Today when I tried Eco 0 it seemed to work 100%, but then I worked my way back up to Eco 5 and it still worked so I'm super confused. Not sure if it's less likely work or I was just having really bad luck. But when I tried it a few times in a row at Eco 4 or 5, forget which, it was still a little flakey, but seemed okay at Eco 0. Seems like QDMR is the same thing, I had issues on Eco 4/5 a lot more than 0, seems to work pretty well on 0. Very strange nobody else is seeing issues.

Let me know if there's any more info I can give.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:52 am

kt4lh wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:54 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:41 pm
kt4lh wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:25 pm
I can't read from my my GD77 with this beta either, can anyone help me figure out what's going on? If I revert to the Nov 10 build, it's fine, but Nov 12 or this Nov it can't from the CPS or QDMR.

Huh, okay this is interesting, I've always kept my radio on Eco 4. If I change it to a lower Eco mode, it works. Would having it on Eco mode make it more likely to fail to connect to the radio for CPS download? It's working now for me most of the time in 4, but it still fails randomly.

Nobody else is having issues? I've tried my Anytone 878 on the same cable and a dozen downloads from it not a single failure so I don't think anything has happened to the cable. I have no problems downloading the firmware to the GD77, I've done that 4-5 times over the last few days, just downloading the codeplug from the radio. I haven't tried uploading a codeplug, however.
Does the radio appear as a com device at all.

Run the windows device manager and look at the com devices tree
Yep, when I looked yesterday or day before I was seeing it as a COM device as GD77, would close and re-launch the CPS and it couldn't read from it. Today when I tried Eco 0 it seemed to work 100%, but then I worked my way back up to Eco 5 and it still worked so I'm super confused. Not sure if it's less likely work or I was just having really bad luck. But when I tried it a few times in a row at Eco 4 or 5, forget which, it was still a little flakey, but seemed okay at Eco 0. Seems like QDMR is the same thing, I had issues on Eco 4/5 a lot more than 0, seems to work pretty well on 0. Very strange nobody else is seeing issues.

Let me know if there's any more info I can give.
Part of the new power saving measures effectively stops the USB working. Eco 0 disables all power saving, hence keeps the USB running.

We attempt to detect if the USB is connected to a PC i.e there is an active connection, in which case the extra power saving measures are disabled.

But it looks like there is some configuration or Use-Case where the firmware is not correctly detecting that the USB is required.

I think Daniel has some ideas abou this, but I'm not sure what they are.

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:52 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:52 am
Part of the new power saving measures effectively stops the USB working. Eco 0 disables all power saving, hence keeps the USB running.

We attempt to detect if the USB is connected to a PC i.e there is an active connection, in which case the extra power saving measures are disabled.

But it looks like there is some configuration or Use-Case where the firmware is not correctly detecting that the USB is required.

I think Daniel has some ideas abou this, but I'm not sure what they are.
Sounds great, thank you!

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:25 am