Public Beta (2021 10 02)

VK3KYY

Public Beta (2021 10 02)

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:03 pm

There is a new public beta version available for download.

This version should be considered as slightly experimental, because it has only been in private beta testing for 2 days.

All files are in this folder tree

https://www.opengd77.com/downloads/PublicBeta_20211002/

Firmware files are here

https://www.opengd77.com/downloads/Publ ... /firmware/

Voice prompts are here

https://www.opengd77.com/downloads/Publ ... e_prompts/

Changes include

* Fix for satellite mode Rx frequency not updating correctly under some conditions
* Improvment to DMR audio buffering and error handling - Thanks to Daniel
* Changes to the internal firmware timebase, to reduce background CPU load - Thanks to Daniel
* Improvements to voice prompts in Satellite mode
* Updates to translation texts
* Various other bug fixes and source code clean-ups

Thanks to all the beta testers who had to put up with multiple private betas with serious problems in them.
Thanks as ever to Daniel F1RMB
Thanks to Ian DJ0HF for his work with testing the voice prompts
Thanks to those who have updated the translations

W1AEX

Re: Public Beta (2021 10 02)

Post by W1AEX » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:00 am

Running fine on both of my GD77 radios with both DMR TX/RX and my usual analog scanning chores. Thank you Roger, Daniel, and Ian.

73, Rob W1AEX

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:54 am

thank you

ok1pt

Post by ok1pt » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:38 pm

Hi Daniel and others,
many thanks for the new Beta!
What I just noticed: When the radio is freshly flashed, i.e. no date, time, coords are entered, going to Menu/Satellite enters a copy of "Radio Info" submenu to allow you to enter all the data. OK, I understand. But what I don't understand is, that the radio stops receiving in this moment. I understand that in the Sat mode the Rx/Tx are automatically changing to keep track of the sat, but when this mode is not usable yet, and we entered a different menu/screen than the real Sat operation screen - and of course we didn't select any sat to track - so that in this case the Rx/Tx params should be left untouched.
With regards /73,
Pavel

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi,

That's normal. When you enter that menu, the radio is switched to FM, and the frequency is "unset", until you pick a Satellite.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:54 pm

ok1pt wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:38 pm
Hi Daniel and others,
many thanks for the new Beta!
What I just noticed: When the radio is freshly flashed, i.e. no date, time, coords are entered, going to Menu/Satellite enters a copy of "Radio Info" submenu to allow you to enter all the data. OK, I understand. But what I don't understand is, that the radio stops receiving in this moment. I understand that in the Sat mode the Rx/Tx are automatically changing to keep track of the sat, but when this mode is not usable yet, and we entered a different menu/screen than the real Sat operation screen - and of course we didn't select any sat to track - so that in this case the Rx/Tx params should be left untouched.
With regards /73,
Pavel

The satellite screen is like a special version of the Channel or VFO screen, becuase it controls the frequency and mode of the radio.

The logic on this screen is very complicated with lists of satellites and also the requirement that the operator must have already configured the location and the data and the time and they must also have installed the keps

The only solution if the operator didnt set up the radio with date or time or location, is to force the the Date or Location screen to display to remind the operator that they did the wrong thing and didn't set the radio up correctly.

We may be able to keep the Rx running while the operator enters the Date or location or time etc, but if the operator really wants to listen to listen to soemthing else, they probably would not be entering satellite mode.

f6fzo

Post by f6fzo » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:09 am

Merci
Bone journée
serge

BG6UD

Post by BG6UD » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:23 am

Running fine on MD-760,very good! THX,73!

ok1pt

Post by ok1pt » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:02 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:54 pm

The satellite screen is like a special version of the Channel or VFO screen, becuase it controls the frequency and mode of the radio.

The logic on this screen is very complicated with lists of satellites and also the requirement that the operator must have already configured the location and the data and the time and they must also have installed the keps

The only solution if the operator didnt set up the radio with date or time or location, is to force the the Date or Location screen to display to remind the operator that they did the wrong thing and didn't set the radio up correctly.

We may be able to keep the Rx running while the operator enters the Date or location or time etc, but if the operator really wants to listen to listen to soemthing else, they probably would not be entering satellite mode.
Hi!
OK, I fully understand. I think it's OK how it's done now.
Thank you very much for the explanation!
With regards,
Pavel

F6GVE

Post by F6GVE » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:16 pm

Hi everyone and big thanks to F1RMB, VK3KYY and other people contributing to this fabulous firmware

I'll try to explain something I noticed already in the 09.29 version, and still present with this public beta.
When i swtich my GD77 to a DMR channel, there is generaly a important lag before the audio switches on when "TS Filter" is set on "OFF". This lag is about 3 seconds.
No matter if the TS display is set on TS1 or TS2, and even if "Filter time" is set at its minimum value : 2s (1s was possible in older versions)
As a consequence, during scanning the GD77 nevers stop on busy DMR channels

The old version version Juil 11 2021 is still OK, there is not any lag in any way, no matter if "TS Filter" is set on "OFF" or "ON", and no matter if the GD77 is set on the opposite slot or not (if TS Filter is OFF of course)

Is what I explain understandable?
If not I could make a video

Luc