[From May 29th] New ongoing "Development" version has been created

EB3AM

Re: Is there any intention to continue this wonderful project?

Post by EB3AM » Sun May 30, 2021 4:08 pm

The scanner option at start is great. But it might be would be more correct, instead of a switch in the "options" section, to do that simply if we turned off the walkie when it was scanning on start it would continue with the scanner enabled.
Or let the switch do what I say or not. Now the switch forces you to start with the scanner, whether you were using it or not.
It’s not too complicated, I think, to change how the switch works. simply, it should be added that the moment the user activates the scanner, save it to the settings. And, if the user turns off the radio with the scanner on, when you turn it on again, restart the scanner.
If, on the other hand, it is not scanning when it is turned off, the machine would not be ordered to resume scanning and would start normally.

Anyway, as it works it is very interesting and useful.

Another thing I saw in this firmware has to do with the beep.
If I select "silence" no tone is heard. I usually try to remove the key tones, but I'm interested in hearing the activation tone of the DMR repeater, so I know when to start talking. In silent mode, would it be possible to continue listening to the repeater tone? Now, I have the tone turned to -24dB and the dmr tone is heard at a correct volume. I think with previous firmwares, turning off the beep didn’t affect the DMR tone, but I may be confused.

Anyway, I think we have a very robust firmware, usable and focused on how the hamradio community works.

I’ve been playing these months with several dmr radios and really, if you’ve tried opengd77 before, it gives you the feeling that the other radios are in the stone age.

If I were to own a large communications equipment company, I would ask the software engineer to go through these pages every day to learn how amateur radio equipment should work.

M6OLP

Post by M6OLP » Sun May 30, 2021 6:06 pm

m1dyp wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 1:41 pm
M6OLP wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 1:30 pm
If somebody gets a chance, can we get a quick step by step guide to installing the new firmware please?
Do we use the bin file thats on the server dated 29th May? or should we compile the bin from the source code supplied?
I am assuming supplied files for compiling need to be in the same directory as the sGL file?
sorry but i am confused dot com LOL
download the new cps, install it, download the GD-77_V4.3.6.sgl, the new OpenGD77.bin, open cps, connect radio pressing bottom two left keys and turn radio on.
in cps select extras, firmware loader, select firmware v4.3.6, open, select file and update, opengd77.bin, open
firmware will then be updated
simples.....
Thank you so much that clarified it and it's done!
73's
Keith

Juan Francisco

Post by Juan Francisco » Sun May 30, 2021 11:17 pm

thank you for continuing this great project ;)

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Mon May 31, 2021 12:06 am

M6OLP wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 1:30 pm

Thank you so much that clarified it and it's done!
73's
Keith
glad to hear

ZL2FL

Post by ZL2FL » Mon May 31, 2021 2:15 am

Just updated one of mine with the new method - as others have said, seamless!

Again, very grateful to the team for their efforts. If there is a Patreon or similar to donate to then I'm in!

Colin
ZL2FL

ko4oag

Post by ko4oag » Mon May 31, 2021 3:38 am

Just updated. Thank you for the continued work on this project.

John

FD8ZZ

Post by FD8ZZ » Mon May 31, 2021 6:25 am

Hello,

Perfectly and simply done update !! Thank you.

W1AEX

Post by W1AEX » Mon May 31, 2021 4:22 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 9:27 pm

The feature to limit the number of DMR IDs based on date used to come from ham-digital.org, but AFIK that service was shut down when they stopped being the registrar for some parts of the world.

It would be good if we could get that data from somewhere but I don't know anywhere which now offers it
Although ham-digital.org did offer the option to load only DMR-ID numbers active within a specified range of days, it seemed like there were noticeable gaps in their database. From what I have observed in this latest firmware release, Radio-ID is more accurate, and with the new firmware's data compression and option to re-allocate the voice prompt memory space to ID storage it's a huge improvement for my uses. Also, since I mostly use the Brandmeister repeaters in my area the implementation of talker alias in the GD77 fills in the ID locations that my stored DMR-ID data does not include.

This new version is working beautifully here!

Thanks and 73, Rob W1AEX

KC9WDX

Post by KC9WDX » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:44 am

Awesome to see this project still going strong! Awesome job on refactoring everything to keep it alive, nicely done!

I have (what I hope is) a simple question. I don't own a GD77, but I do own a RD-5R that I've been using your OpenGD77/OpenRD5R firmware on for about a year. I would like to update it to this most recent release, but I'm not sure if the requirements are different than the posted instructions for the GD77 (grabbing the GD-77 Firmware V4.3.6 to extract the SGL file from).

Are the instructions the exact same for the RD-5R, combining the GD77 SGL and the bin from /downloads/releases/R2021052901/firmware/OpenRD5R.zip ? Or is there a different SGL file required for the RD-5R?

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:04 am

Hi,
KC9WDX wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:44 am
Awesome to see this project still going strong! Awesome job on refactoring everything to keep it alive, nicely done!

I have (what I hope is) a simple question. I don't own a GD77, but I do own a RD-5R that I've been using your OpenGD77/OpenRD5R firmware on for about a year. I would like to update it to this most recent release, but I'm not sure if the requirements are different than the posted instructions for the GD77 (grabbing the GD-77 Firmware V4.3.6 to extract the SGL file from).

Are the instructions the exact same for the RD-5R, combining the GD77 SGL and the bin from /downloads/releases/R2021052901/firmware/OpenRD5R.zip ? Or is there a different SGL file required for the RD-5R?
All supported devices just use the same exact procedure.

Cheers.
---
Daniel