Rolling update strategy

VK3KYY

Rolling update strategy

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:38 am

With only 2 different types of releases, Unstable and Stable, I'm finding it difficult to be able to distribute versions which are potentially less stable than the Unstable version (which is generally quite stable)

So, I'm going to need to move to a rolling update strategy, where if a Unstable release appears to be stable, (e.g. in the case of the Unstable version I posted on 16th Oct), I will change that version to become a Stable release, simply by unchecking a box in the management system on Github.

I'm also going to need to release each Unstable version as a separate release, rather than the current strategy of updating the last Unstable release.
And I'm also going to need to modify the CPS to provide a list of perhaps the last 10 releases, so that people can select which release they want to download.

This will allow people to test the latest Unstable release, and then if there is a problem, change back to the previous Unstable release.

I will hopefully have time today (Sunday 18th Oct), to add this feature into the CPS, and in the mean time I have promoted the Unstable / "Pre-release" version from 2020/10/16 to become a Stable "Release"

Once the change to the CPS is complete, I will be creating another Unstable / Pre-release version, which does not contain any new functionality or bug fixes, but does contain a lot of code optimisations, sent to me by Daniel F1RMB, and this will need to be tested by the early adopters, to ensure that the optimisations have not had any unintended consequences.

Once the optimisation version has been released, I will commencing work to implement an old submission by Alex DG4LEX, for the SK2 + Number key "quick-keys" to be assigned by the operator.

However, because the codebase has changed significantly since Alex submitted this update, it involves a lot of work to integrate his changes into the current code structure.
And I also need to build a system into the CPS to also be able to configure the quick-keys, hence this feature will probably take several weeks before it is fully functional.

So.. Watch this space.

f6fzo

Re: Rolling update strategy

Post by f6fzo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:38 am

Bonjour

cette fonctionnalité prendra probablement plusieurs semaines avant d'être entièrement fonctionnelle.

c'est pas grave on a tout l'hivers ! :mrgreen:

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:52 am

f6fzo wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:38 am
Bonjour

cette fonctionnalité prendra probablement plusieurs semaines avant d'être entièrement fonctionnelle.

c'est pas grave on a tout l'hivers ! :mrgreen:
:D

F6GVE

Post by F6GVE » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:05 pm

This is a good idea, as always. Good luck with the programming