New ongoing "Development" version has been created

vk7js

Re: New ongoing "Development" version has been created

Post by vk7js » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:30 am

I also say a huge thank you Roger. Also, you have my word, if you ever need help with the programming, I will never ask for money or license restrictions of any kind, I'd just be glad to help out. I'd be willing to sign an NDA, or whatever it took to be part of your team. I have contributed to 8 patents all of which the company I work for hold all rights to. So long as you keep a commitment to accessibility, I'd be glad to contribute and lighten your load.
Joseph
vk7js

K4ED

Post by K4ED » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:39 am

Last chance to download the last released version.
I have removed all previous releases so they will not be downloadable via the CPS or any other means.
I have left the last release to give people a bit more time to download the last release before I must delete it.

Just saw this news, just tried via CPS .. guess I am too late. :-(

YL3IM

Post by YL3IM » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:51 am

Hi!

Can we get the latest 3rd April 2021 firmware bundle, please?

PY2GVY

Post by PY2GVY » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:39 pm

Very sad.
I think that one of the reason Radioddity sells GD-77 is because the OpenGD.
Roger, can you make available the complete branch of OpenGD77CP ?
Thank you for the effort e dedication.

DL2MF

Post by DL2MF » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:53 pm

Hi Roger & @all contributors,

although not been active for a very long time I'm still remembering the first days of this lovely community project.
When updating my firmware only a few days ago I noticed the latest bad news.

Just want to say a big "Thank you!" for this ambitous and amazing project!

73 Mike, DL2MF

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:02 pm

The source code will be releases as soon as possible, however at the moment I'm having problems getting the last release commit to build.

Under the terms of the Open Source license, it is still not possible for me, or anyone else to publish public releases from the firmware, as the Open Source license requires that all sources to the firmware release be available, and this is not possible because the firmware binary file is 30% from the closed source official firmware.

Perhaps someone intends to write a patching loader, but this would require more work, which I'm not willing to do.

Overall, the mistake with the software license has finally killed the project for me.

I'll attempt to release the firmware in the next 24 hours, depending on how much free time I have to get it to compile.

footloosejava

Post by footloosejava » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:05 am

DG3GSP wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:57 am
Hello Roger,

so maybe a mailinglist would be temporary a assistance - if you decide to continue this incredible project.
If this project continues in an other form or with an other licence - I'd love to support this anymore with translations/testing..

Anyway, i wish to say thank you very much to you and all the other developers for spending so much of your spare time.
YES. ROGER.
THANK YOU
WE ARE GREATLY INDEBTED AND HUMBLED BY YOUR CONTRIBUTION.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:17 am

The sources from the last beta release have now been committed.

ok1pt

Post by ok1pt » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:21 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:17 am
Hello Roger,
Many thanks ! I just did git pull, started the compile, and... 0 Errors, 0 Warnings... So immediately flashed it, and ... it works!
Extreme thanks to you, I believe that the project can continue its life! Now it's neccessary to find a method, how to allow individual end users to link the binary blobs to pre-compiled image. I have the following idea:
- The image will be compiled as obvious, i.e. with binary blobs, so all the references, addresses etc. will be in place.
- A special "blanking" utility will then replace all the foreign binary code with zeroes. I believe that such utility can be developed easily (I can try it in my free time as well).
- An end user will have to extract the blobs from official FW by the tool, which is already available - I remember that I had to do it to be able to compile the project. It will be neccessary only once.
- Using another special program (again very easily writable), the blobs will be inserted back to the zeroed parts of the sgl file.
- It would be good to publish an MD5 hash of the complete sgl file to allow users to check, whether they patched the distributed blanked image properly.
... and I believe, that all the problems with licensing a file containg foreign code are then ironed out...
With regards & 73
Pavel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:35 am

ok1pt wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:21 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:17 am
Hello Roger,
Many thanks ! I just did git pull, started the compile, and... 0 Errors, 0 Warnings... So immediately flashed it, and ... it works!
Extreme thanks to you, I believe that the project can continue its life! Now it's neccessary to find a method, how to allow individual end users to link the binary blobs to pre-compiled image. I have the following idea:
- The image will be compiled as obvious, i.e. with binary blobs, so all the references, addresses etc. will be in place.
- A special "blanking" utility will then replace all the foreign binary code with zeroes. I believe that such utility can be developed easily (I can try it in my free time as well).
- An end user will have to extract the blobs from official FW by the tool, which is already available - I remember that I had to do it to be able to compile the project. It will be neccessary only once.
- Using another special program (again very easily writable), the blobs will be inserted back to the zeroed parts of the sgl file.
- It would be good to publish an MD5 hash of the complete sgl file to allow users to check, whether they patched the distributed blanked image properly.
... and I believe, that all the problems with licensing a file containg foreign code are then ironed out...
With regards & 73
Pavel
Legally you can't use that official binary as its not available from the Radioddity site.

I'm probably not allowed to have the official firmware in a Github repo and may have to delete it.

You will need to reverse engineer the latest binary and find the location of the codec blocks and then modify the firmware function entry pointers and the linkers to suit that version.
There is no guarantee that the codec block locations in the latest available official firmware would be compatible, if they are overall larger , as you may exceed the MCU rom space

Also you will need to find the encyption key offset used by that firmware and use that to encrypt the firmware, otherwise it won't match the offficial firmware.

And you'll need to update the loader, as it only works for 1 specific encryption key.

Or your loader will need to decrypt 2 different files, and merged then re-encrypt to the key the loader supports.