New ongoing "Development" version has been created

oh1fss

Re: New ongoing "Development" version has been created

Post by oh1fss » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:41 am

ok1pt wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:21 am
Many thanks ! I just did git pull, started the compile, and... 0 Errors, 0 Warnings... So immediately flashed it, and ... it works!
Good to hear that!

Many thanks to Roger, it is because of you that I started using OpenGD77! You have done impressive work!

The difference between CB users and radio amateurs is that we want to tinker with the equipment that we use. Therefore I believe that open source is the future of ham radio: WSJT, fldigi, cqrlog, gqrx, quisk, Linux, DIY radios, ...
ok1pt wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:21 am
Now it's neccessary to find a method, how to allow individual end users to link the binary blobs to pre-compiled image.
Is it really necessary?

When switching from the official Radioddity firmware to OpenGD77, the bytes of the BLOB should not change at all - providing that the official firmware is of the same version from which the BLOB was originally extracted. So installing the OpenGD77 firmware just copies the same bytes that already are in the radio!

And has anybody really complained about using the BLOB?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:01 am

oh1fss wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:41 am
And has anybody really complained about using the BLOB?

Yes. That was one complaint.

The software license requries you to supply all sources for your release.

You can't pick and choose about the availability of the source code.

Its all or nothing.

oh1fss

Post by oh1fss » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:16 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:01 am
But isn't the BLOB a system library? If not, why not? At least it is used like a library, via the wrappers?

And everybody who has the radio already has a copy of it in the flash memory?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... yException

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:37 am

Leave it alone guys...

Malicious people killed the project.

Main developers are not coming back to OpenGD77.

Respect their decisions.

Say thanks and move on...

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:40 am

oh1fss wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:16 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:01 am
But isn't the BLOB a system library? If not, why not? At least it is used like a library, via the wrappers?

And everybody who has the radio already has a copy of it in the flash memory?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.htm ... yException
Didnt you read any of my other posts.

Its not a library, and even if it was, its illegal to publish the firmware binary that contains any closed source library material.

You face legal action if you do this.

IW2FHM

Post by IW2FHM » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:09 pm

Question to KC7RBW: Given the result of your "LEGALITY" request, about OpenGD77, how do you feel today ??? ......
Thank you for your fabulous contribution to the HAM community spirit.
Roberto

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:58 pm

IW2FHM wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:09 pm
Question to KC7RBW: Given the result of your "LEGALITY" request, about OpenGD77, how do you feel today ??? ......
Thank you for your fabulous contribution to the HAM community spirit.
Roberto
I feel relieved, puzzled, and hopeful. I'm relieved that Roger has decided to do his best to comply with the terms of the license (thank you!) and puzzled that anyone thinks this means the project has to shut down. I'm hopeful that things will turn out better than some of you fear.

I also feel sad for the choices my own actions appear to have catalyzed, but I do not feel responsible for those choices. I've read everything Roger and Daniel have written about those choices on this forum and I don't understand why they think it all has to end.

I do think Roger may be right to take down firmware builds that include the proprietary codec, but I don't represent DVSI and I sincerely doubt they care. I personally would rather see the firmware builds stay up, but I also know enough about copyright law that I'm not going to share them with anyone myself. I'm partial to the argument that the codec is like a proprietary library (though strictly speaking it's not quite that) that unfortunately has to be linked in to get it all working.

The source code doesn't include the codec - the project was always careful to avoid that, so it can stay public and people can keep improving it. If Roger doesn't want to manage the GitHub repo anymore someone else may need to accept those contributions. The project kept going after Kai stopped working on it - it will keep going if Roger and Daniel stop too. And they don't have to stop!

Temporarily, until someone writes a tool to let end users patch in the proprietary codec themselves, you might not find someone who's willing to give you a firmware build that includes the codec. Once someone writes that tool there will be no reason not to post non-functional fully open source builds that require those tools be used before the firmware can be uploaded to your radio. Or you might find that there are lots of people who are happy to provide full source code and firmware builds that include the codec, even though the legality of that may be questionable.

It won't be me - as much as I'd like to throw builds of the current firmware up on some site for you right now I also don't want that legal question mark hanging over my head. What I will do, if someone else doesn't get it done before I do, is see if I can write some kind of tool for that myself and at least post some kind of example code that shows how you'd do it.

The CPS is another problem entirely, but I won't go into that here and I disclaim any assertion that my own tiny contribution to the CPS is even copyrightable - I literally only contributed some integers (you can't copyright integers). Several people are working on things that could be used to manage and upload your codeplugs without the CPS, so I think that's going to work out.

I sympathize with all of you at how frustrating this disruption is, and I can only assure you that nothing I've done has forced this. The only action I ever asked for was for the source code to be posted, Roger says that's done now, and I trust that's true. I can see how my explanations of copyright law and open source licensing have precipitated the rest of what's happening, but I don't blame myself for that. I want the project to move toward a more solid legal footing so that it can continue, and I can't feel that it's wrong for me to want that.

I will also add that I'm very concerned for the visually impaired radio operator community. Roger and the others have done an exceptionally good thing in providing and improving support for voice prompts, and it's far more tragic for them than for the rest of us for that to stop - or even for it to be stalled while we sort this out.

IW2FHM

Post by IW2FHM » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:22 pm

Thanks for the reply Andrew. This type of explanation leads me to think that if from the beginning the reasons for your interventions had been clear, as now, perhaps we would not have arrived in this unpleasant situation. I hope that everything is resolved with a spirit of collaboration on the part of everyone so that such an excellent project does not end in nothing.
p.s.
Many thanks again Roger and co-workers

73 Roberto

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:39 pm

IW2FHM wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:22 pm
This type of explanation leads me to think that if from the beginning the reasons for your interventions had been clear, as now, perhaps we would not have arrived in this unpleasant situation.
That's good feedback and I take it seriously, thank you for offering it. I agree that at least my first request for the source code didn't make it as clear as it could have what my hopes and intentions were, and it was not as sensitive to emotional dimensions as it should have been.

In fact a while after I posted my request, I sent a private email to Roger apologizing for being so blunt and making myself more clear. I should have contacted Roger privately in the first place and not posted anything publicly until I was sure I was being ignored. I confess I did not handle this as well as I wish I had.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 pm

If anyone wants to take a copy of the firmware please do so now, as I will be deleting the public repo in 12 hours

Note.

I did try to push my changes to the upstream master repo belonging to Kai DG4KLU, who originally started this project and whose repository was technically the absolute master

However I think for for legal reasons, Kai has now has decided to delete his master repository