OpenGD77CPS
F1RMB

Re: Multiple install Satellite keps corrupts radio operation

Post by F1RMB » Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:37 pm

Okay, thanks.

AB7IC

Post by AB7IC » Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:11 pm

Just a thought.. is there any chance that the "Predicting" operation that occurs just after a firmware load in the satellite list screen is causing my issue?
Also, my keps come from https:\\www.celestrak.com/NORAD/elements/amateur.txt Same for you?

AB7IC

Post by AB7IC » Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:12 pm

Another failing sequence.
From Channel screen, Install keps 5 times. no problem. radio responds to arrow keys, operation in channel mode ok.
Go to Satellite mode, Predicting runs, scroll up/down the list, all ok.
Return to Channel mode (2 x red button).
install keps. Fail. ie radio function corrupt.
I hope this is a clue, -tom

AB7IC

Post by AB7IC » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:24 pm

Sorry to report the problem still exists with the latest CPS and firmware. R2023.11.11.01 and firmware of 11-19-2023
regards, ab7ic tom

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:12 pm

Please explain what you mean by

"install keps. Fail. ie radio function corrupt."

Please confirm you are using a GD-77

Please confirm what operating system you are using.

Have you tried uploading any different computers, i.e potentially there is a problem while uploading the data via USB on the computer you are using.

You appear to be the only person reporting this problem, despite hundreds of people using the satellite functionality every day, including regularly updating their keps file, so its likely that this problem is with either your PC or with your radio.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:57 am

I (re)tried, following the listed procedure, and I'm not experiencing any problem.

AB7IC

Post by AB7IC » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:26 pm

Roger, Please read the info at the beginning of this thread where I describe the problem in detail and have several back/forths with Daniel.
Yes it is a GD-77. now running firmware 11.19 and I'm using CPS 11.11
The computer is an IBM ThinkPad running Windows 7 Home version. I have been using this Laptop for years to download firmware and code plugs to my GD77.
Operation corrupt means, when I return to the normal operation screen from Stalling, the arrow buttons no longer work, zones shows ?, and it takes a real PWR off (sk1 + pwr off) then on to restore normal operations.

I will work of finding another computer to try and recreate. But given the nature of the issue (i.e. it requires multiple download of keps). I doubt it is the computer, but agree it is more likely to be the radio, or something unique with my codeplug.
regards, tom ab7ic. in Tucson AZ.

AB7IC

Post by AB7IC » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:32 pm

Mistakes in my last append: "real pwr" off is sk2 + Pwr off. and the word Stalling should have been "the Satellite screen"

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:50 pm

The point here is that you're the only one who is experiencing that strange problem, and there is a bunch of people using the satellite feature, and as far as I remember no-one reported such problem, and I'm not able to reproduce it on any device here, this is why it looks suspicious regarding a firmware bug.

AB7IC

Post by AB7IC » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:17 pm

I noticed that the symptom changed slightly with the latest firmware (11.19). Now when I return to the Channel display after multiple installing Keps, the GD-77 is completely locked up, ie. no buttons work. All that works is Pwr Off. To recover the radio, I do a real Pwr off (sk2+ pwr off) and pwr on.
I am open to more ideas on how to troubleshoot/isolate is strange behavior.
regards, tom ab7ic