No Comm port for Programming Cable - Win 10

OpenGD77CPS
AB6B

Re: No Comm port for Programming Cable - Win 10

Post by AB6B » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:33 am

So, when I try to put the GD-77 into programming mode:
1. Does it normally stay in programming mode for 5 minutes or more?
2. Does it normally appear in Device Manager as a port?

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:23 am

Hi,

When you start in bootloader mode, it would stay in this mode forever, until you power cycle your device.

Does the two SK1 and SK2 buttons are functionnal (no hardware issues) ?
Have you done a factory reset someday ? It's well known that some official firmware has tendencies to erase the protection bytes, and break the ability to enter into bootloader mode. In this case you need a hardware programmer to flash a modified bootloader.

Can you make a small video when entering the bootloader mode ?

Cheers.
---
Daniel

AB6B

Post by AB6B » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:08 am

Daniel,

Thanks so much for your detailed answer. From what you're saying it seems that, for whatever reason, my GD-77 won't go into programming mode. I could make a video but the start up sequence appears to be the same whether or not I hold down the 2 buttons; after 10 seconds, "Factory Init..." is shown on the screen and then I see a screen with "Zone 0" (center line) and "Freq Error" (lower line).

I will try a Factory reset today and, if that does not fix it, I will ask Radioddity to send me a new one.

Ted

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:15 pm

AB6B wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:08 am
Daniel,

Thanks so much for your detailed answer. From what you're saying it seems that, for whatever reason, my GD-77 won't go into programming mode. I could make a video but the start up sequence appears to be the same whether or not I hold down the 2 buttons; after 10 seconds, "Factory Init..." is shown on the screen and then I see a screen with "Zone 0" (center line) and "Freq Error" (lower line).

I will try a Factory reset today and, if that does not fix it, I will ask Radioddity to send me a new one.

Ted
Either one of the buttons is defective or the official firmware has trashed itself.

The official firmware has a bug where it erases some of the copy protection data, and this prevents the radio entering Firmware Update mode.

However we never heard of the copy protection being trashed in a brand new radio.

AB6B

Post by AB6B » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:47 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:15 pm
Either one of the buttons is defective or the official firmware has trashed itself.

The official firmware has a bug where it erases some of the copy protection data, and this prevents the radio entering Firmware Update mode.

However we never heard of the copy protection being trashed in a brand new radio.
It was an open box item (new ones were not in stock) so probably returned by someone maybe because they couldn't get it into programming mode. Thinking I might be stuck with a radio that had old firmware, I tried entering my radio ID# but all I saw was a row of ####### and that display never changed as typed numbers and pressing green for enter gave a bad ID error message so I think it was totally corrupted.

Anyway, kudos to Radioddity, I emailed them and they responded very quickly with an RMA and a pledge to send me a new one. The return is to an address in Las Vegas. Guess I won't be dipping my toe in the DMR waters this week.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:08 am

AB6B wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:47 am
It was an open box item (new ones were not in stock) so probably returned by someone maybe because they couldn't get it into programming mode. Thinking I might be stuck with a radio that had old firmware, I tried entering my radio ID# but all I saw was a row of ####### and that display never changed as typed numbers and pressing green for enter gave a bad ID error message so I think it was totally corrupted.

Anyway, kudos to Radioddity, I emailed them and they responded very quickly with an RMA and a pledge to send me a new one. The return is to an address in Las Vegas. Guess I won't be dipping my toe in the DMR waters this week.
Still hard to tell if its the firmware or the hardware, but I suspect it's age old problem of the official firmware erasing its ony copy protection data, which then prevents the bootloader allowing the firmware every to be updated again.

If Radioddity are letting you keep the defective radio, there is a way to directly flash the firmware into the radio by connecting to the SWD pads on the PDB, but that also requires a hardware programmer like a JLink.

Anyway. Radioddity are usually pretty good at replacing defective radios. I know several people with 2 GD77's, because their first one had a hardware fault, like a line on the display or the Orange button didn't work.

Radioddiy just sent them a replacement radio and didnt ask for the semi defective radio back.

AB6B

Post by AB6B » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. Radioddity lived up to their excellent reputation and sent me a new (open box) GD-77 radio.

I have confirmed I can read and write from/to it using the Radioddity CPS so now I'm going to try installing Open GD77.

Ted

AB6B

Post by AB6B » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:05 pm

So I'm stuck with the same issue. I'm following the instructions here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1770 but at the point where it says "Turn on your transceiver in bootloader mode (SK1 + SK2 + power on)", it always boots up as if the SK1 & SK2 buttons were not pressed.

I tried:
1. uninstalling GD77 CPS
2. deleting the USB Input Device that pops up in Device Manager
3. Reinstalling the Open GD77 COM port driver
4. Trying to get into programming mode with/without the cable plugged in
5. Pressing SK1 & SK2 momentarily and then releasing after switch on
6. Pressing SK1 & SK2 continuously after switch on

I was able to read and write from/to the GD77 under the Radioddity GD77 CPS and saw that it had been previously programmed and not wiped so it had a radio ID and a bunch of channels set up - maybe the side buttons had been reprogrammed? The Firmware version that's on it right now is V4.02.06 which is older than the one I'm trying to load via OpenGD77 CPS but I can't get the radio into programming mode, it always boots up as normal.

Any ideas?

Ted

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:22 pm

So you now have 2 radios which won't enter the bootloader ????

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:41 am

Hi,

Did you ever used the "factory reset" feature from the manufacturer firmware ?
Just to make it clear, don't do that if you didn't.

Cheers.
---
Daniel