No Comm port for Programming Cable - Win 10

OpenGD77CPS
AB6B

No Comm port for Programming Cable - Win 10

Post by AB6B » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:04 pm

I'm running Win 10 and I'm pretty IT-literate. The Radioddity serial cable is recognized by Windows if my GD-77 Radio is power on but there's never any Com port - it comes up as USB Input Device - so Open CPS can't read or write to the radio.

I tried downloading the driver on the Radioddity site but that gives me the same result.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ted

G4EML

Re: No Comm port for Programming Cable - Win 10

Post by G4EML » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:43 pm

That sounds like you are still running the original manufacturers firmware. That doesn’t appear as a Com port. OpenGD77 works differently.

Colin.

AB6B

Post by AB6B » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:20 pm

Thanks, I just got a response from Radioddity saying that I should see a USB device named MCU MOUSE DEMO which I do. I also have a Baofeng cable (for UV-5R) that uses an FT232 driver chip and comes up as a COM port, will that work for the GD-77?

So far, I have only installed the Open CPS application and, during that install, it said it was installing the Comms driver.

Should I not be using the USB cable that came in the box with the GD-77?

Ted

AB6B

Post by AB6B » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:50 pm

I'll jump in angain and clarify my situation...

I just got a new (open box) Radioddity GD-77 and, on the advice of kt4lh, I was aiming to switch the firmware over to Open GD77 immediately so here's where I'm at:

1. I have a virgin GD77 (I presume) that has never even had a code plug written to it
2. I installed Open GD77 CPS following the instructions about extracting the file from the Radioddity firmware and applying it; that's done with success messages and OpenGD77CPS seems to be running fine on my Win 10 PC
3. Using Open GD77 CPS, I have tried to connect to the virgin GD-77 using the USB cable that came in the box with the GD77 to back up the flash etc but the OpenGD77 CPS code is looking for a COM port (maybe because the GD-77 is running the original Radioddity firmware?) Should I just go ahead and try to write the new OpenGD77 firmware to the GD-77? If yes, which cable/driver do I need?

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:04 pm

Hi,
AB6B wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:50 pm
I'll jump in angain and clarify my situation...

I just got a new (open box) Radioddity GD-77 and, on the advice of kt4lh, I was aiming to switch the firmware over to Open GD77 immediately so here's where I'm at:

1. I have a virgin GD77 (I presume) that has never even had a code plug written to it
2. I installed Open GD77 CPS following the instructions about extracting the file from the Radioddity firmware and applying it; that's done with success messages and OpenGD77CPS seems to be running fine on my Win 10 PC
3. Using Open GD77 CPS, I have tried to connect to the virgin GD-77 using the USB cable that came in the box with the GD77 to back up the flash etc but the OpenGD77 CPS code is looking for a COM port (maybe because the GD-77 is running the original Radioddity firmware?) Should I just go ahead and try to write the new OpenGD77 firmware to the GD-77? If yes, which cable/driver do I need?
Won't work.
To use the OpenGD77 CPS, you have to flash the OpenGD77 firmware first, then make the backups.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

AB6B

Post by AB6B » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:23 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:04 pm
Hi,

Won't work.
To use the OpenGD77 CPS, you have to flash the OpenGD77 firmware first, then make the backups.

Cheers.
---
Daniel
Thanks for responding. I am now trying to do what you say using Open GD-77 CPS but it always fails as it doesn't see the radio.

1. I get the firmware download ready to the point of pressing the [Open] button
2. I hold SK1 + SK2 while I switch on but WIndows never gets any kind of port recognition and I try pressing the [Open] button at various stages
3. After maybe 30 seconds, the Radio says 'Factory Init', a welcome message scrolls past the screen, and the windows 'bing' pops up and, when I check, I have the USB INPUT DEVICE in device manager.
4. The message in the Open GD77 CPS firmware dialog box says that there's an error in Comms or, if I do it after the radio has booted and I've got the driver running, it says something to the effect "are you sure you're in programming mode?

No matter the timing of when I press the [Open] button, it fails.
I have downloaded and installed the Open GD77 Comms driver.

Am I supposed to be using the USB programming cable that came with the GD77 to upload the Open GD77 firmware?
If not, will the FT232 cable that works with my Baofeng UV-5R work?

Thanks

AB6B

Post by AB6B » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:11 pm

I found this walk through guide and was trying to follow it.

When I checked the menu of my virgin (open box) GD-77, it says it's Soft V4.02.06 so I thought this may be the issue as the .sgl file that Open GD77 asks for is V4.3.6

So I tried to follow the author's instructions on how to update but when I try to run the update.exe file as administrator, I get an error box saying "The application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect".

I am close to abandoning the idea of running Open GD-77 on my radio.

Maybe I need to load the Radioddity CPS and then get my GD-77 updated before I can move to Open GD-77?

If anyone has a working GD-77, what do you see in Device Manager when you plug the radio in using the programming cable and hod SK1 + SK2 while turning on?

Is the problem because I have not yet put my callsign and DMR ID into the GD-77?

AB6B

Post by AB6B » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:08 pm

I'm trying to change my GD-77 to run on OpenGD77 firmware but despite holding down the 2 buttons under PTT as I switch on, Open GD-77 CPS never sees the radio. I watched a Youtube video where a guy demonstrated doing the firmware upload from OpenGD77CPS, he said the a radio was already connected. Is it supposed to come up in Device Manager as a COM port? Mine doesn't seem to get into programming mode, it doesn't seem to matter if I hold down the 2 buttons or not, the green LED flashes slow fast slow and then the radio boots up and I get a 'USB INPUT DEVICE' under 'Human Input Devices' in Device Manager. My GD-77 is in virginal state, has no data set in it at all, ands reports SW V4.02.06 and I wonder now if the button presses for programming mode are different in that older version?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:22 pm

You are over thinking this

Firmware upload mode is provided by the official bootloader already in the radio, which does not use a com port

Technically the bootloader enumerates as a USB HID device

Just put the radio into firmware update mode, and install the firmware

AB6B

Post by AB6B » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:04 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:22 pm
Just put the radio into firmware update mode, and install the firmware
It seems my radio doesn't want to go into programming mode, maybe I have a bad cable? If I power it up with the 2 buttons under the PTT pressed, it blinks the green LED slow, fast, slow (with the display blank) and then boots as normal but it seems to do the same sequence at the same rate if I power up without pressing any buttons.

Was there a different button combination used on older software versions?