Installation of opengd77 killed communication with the radio

OpenGD77CPS
k0jef

Installation of opengd77 killed communication with the radio

Post by k0jef » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:48 pm

Hey all. I just downloaded and installed the CPS and latest firmware file (as of 21MAR21) and after installation onto my radio it no longer communicates with the computer. So, I have 2 GD-77s. I decided to test the firmware on the new radio and it took the firmware update just fine and operates as expected expect when it comes to communicating with the computer. I have both the original CPS and the opengd77 CPS on my computer (running Windows 10) and neither version of the CPS will communicate with the new radio. However both versions of CPS communicate with my old radio still running original firmware. Any ideas on what I should do/try next?

Thanks and 73,

--JEF

F1RMB

Re: Installation of opengd77 killed communication with the radio

Post by F1RMB » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:59 pm

Hi,
k0jef wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:48 pm
Hey all. I just downloaded and installed the CPS and latest firmware file (as of 21MAR21) and after installation onto my radio it no longer communicates with the computer. So, I have 2 GD-77s. I decided to test the firmware on the new radio and it took the firmware update just fine and operates as expected expect when it comes to communicating with the computer. I have both the original CPS and the opengd77 CPS on my computer (running Windows 10) and neither version of the CPS will communicate with the new radio. However both versions of CPS communicate with my old radio still running original firmware. Any ideas on what I should do/try next?

Thanks and 73,

--JEF
- Using the same cable ?
- Have you installed the USB driver shipped with the OpenGD77-CPS ?

About this:
However both versions of CPS communicate with my old radio still running original firmware.
Do you mean when the HT is in "normal" mode (not in bootloader) ? In this case, I don't think that's even possible, as OpenGD77-CPS is using the a Serial communication, unlike the "original" CPS, which use HID only.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

k0jef

Post by k0jef » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:23 pm

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for getting back to me. So, yes, I've been using the same cable with both radios - the one that came with my first radio I got a year or so ago.
As far as installing the USB driver shipped with the OpenGD77-CPS - I thought it did that during installation? There was a black screen declaring it was being installed. Also, the OpenGD77-CPS software did communicate with the new radio and does communicate with the old radio. I can run each version of CPS and download the codeplug from the old radio so I'm sure the problem exists entirely in the new radio.

I guess my question is this, is there a hard factory reset, you know using 3 hands and 9 fingers while turning the radio on during a full moon, that can revert the radio to a state where it will communicate again?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:28 pm

k0jef wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:23 pm
I guess my question is this, is there a hard factory reset, you know using 3 hands and 9 fingers while turning the radio on during a full moon, that can revert the radio to a state where it will communicate again?
https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... e-settings

k0jef

Post by k0jef » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:34 pm

So, something you asked before I didn't answer and that was whether I was operating in normal or bootloader mode and the answer to that question is normal - like you would read or write the codeplug from or to memory. That prompted me to try to have the CPS talk to the radio in bootloader mode which it did and I was able to down rev the firmware to the 06MAR21 version but exactly the same condition exists after that as well - I can't read the existing codeplug or write one to it.

k0jef

Post by k0jef » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:38 pm

I tried the settings reset you sent the link for with no change. That doesn't even seem to have erased any memory info at all. I'm guessing this is not a common problem... :D

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:18 am

I don't understand what you are telling us.

I think you're saying that you have 1 radio which you can connect to using the OpenGD77 CPS and another which you can't

Are you running the same version of firmware on both radios?

Which version of the CPS are you using.

BTW.
The CPS does install a driver, and assuming you are using Windows,... If you look in the Device Manager, and plug in the radio, and looking under "Ports (COM and LPT), you should see a COM device called OpenGD77.

If that device is not present the CPS won't work.

That device will not be present unless the radio had the OpenGD77 firmware on it, and is turned on and the radio is not in bootloader / firmware load mode.
i.e If the radio is displaying the channel or VFO or any menu screen etc, and is plugged in, then the COM device should appear

If it doesn't appear, either there is USB fault, or the driver is not installed etc etc.