Yet another CPS for Linux and MacOS X

OpenGD77CPS
ki4gst

Re: Yet another CPS for Linux and MacOS X

Post by ki4gst » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:00 pm

Hope this takes off real good. This would make it one of the last reasons I have to keep a windows VM installed on my Mac.

DM3MAT

Post by DM3MAT » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:45 pm

I hope too :D. However, there appears to be a problem with current release running in Rosetta on new ARM macs. This is hopefully only a Qt issue that can be fixed by linking to a newer Version of Qt (the library used for the graphical user interface).

ki4gst

Post by ki4gst » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:06 pm

DM3MAT wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:45 pm
I hope too :D. However, there appears to be a problem with current release running in Rosetta on new ARM macs. This is hopefully only a Qt issue that can be fixed by linking to a newer Version of Qt (the library used for the graphical user interface).
I haven’t installed it yet. I have a 2014 Mac mini so as of now I’m stuck with intel Mac. Also I’m still running 10.14.6 Mojave do to it last version to support 32 but and got two apps that devs are sitting on their butt.

Just wondering how well it works with open GD77 and can it also update the firmware and voice files? If not I’ll have to stick with my windows 7 virtual machine installed and use it.

DM3MAT

Post by DM3MAT » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:59 pm

For now, it does not support the update of firmware and voice files. For this, I would rather resort to separate programs. qdmr aims at being "device independent" CPS. Updating the firmware etc is a rather device-specific task. So, I do not plan to add these features in the near future. Sorry for that.

ki4gst

Post by ki4gst » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:21 pm

DM3MAT wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:59 pm
For now, it does not support the update of firmware and voice files. For this, I would rather resort to separate programs. qdmr aims at being "device independent" CPS. Updating the firmware etc is a rather device-specific task. So, I do not plan to add these features in the near future. Sorry for that.
No problem. That is why I ask. So for now I’ll have to keep my windows VM and use the open GD77 CPS.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:05 pm

DM3MAT wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:59 pm
The standalone firmware loader can be compiled for Linux ( Daniel F1RMB) manages this version

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... are_loader

There is also a python script to load the firmware , but is not been used for a long time and I don't know if it works on all radio types

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... wareLoader

Also, someone wrote a python script to transfer the cideplug, but I don't have the link, and I don't know if it handles the DMR ID database or the Voice Prompts

oh1fss

Post by oh1fss » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:16 pm

There is also a python script to load the firmware , but is not been used for a long time and I don't know if it works on all radio types
I used gd-77_firmware_loader.py two weeks ago and it worked fine on my Baofeng DM-5R Plus.
Also, someone wrote a python script to transfer the cideplug, but I don't have the link, and I don't know if it handles the DMR ID database or the Voice Prompts
That someone is me, all my script can be found here:

Script for personalizing a common codeplug

Those scripts do not handle DMR ID database nor Voice Prompts.

oh1fss

Post by oh1fss » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:21 pm

And there is yet another Python script for codeplugs by LZ1CK, see:

Re: Read/write GD-77 codeplug in Linux in Python 3 (experimental)

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:29 pm

oh1fss wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:21 pm
And there is yet another Python script for codeplugs by LZ1CK, see:

Re: Read/write GD-77 codeplug in Linux in Python 3 (experimental)
Thankyou.

I find it hard to keep track of all the side projects

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:35 pm

BTW.

Voice prompts would be easy to upload, its just a single write to the Flash memory of the .VPR file.

The DMR ID is more complex, because the data needs to be in a specific format and the ID's have to be sorted into numerical order, otherwise the fast binary search algorithm in the firmware won't work.

Also I added variable length records to the original DMR ID format, a long long time ago (probably nearly 2 years ago), so any script would also need to allow the user to choose the text / record length, so that they can optimise for their own specific requirements.

i.e the longer the text record length, the fewer entries can be stored in the available space.

PS.

With the DMR ID, I have plans to eventually use a different memory location in the DM-1801 as it has 2 x as much Flash memory as the GD-77

But I'll need to add a new CPS upload data type to handle this, so that the data can go into a different location depending on the radio type.

So anyone working on a DMR ID script etc would need to change it when I change the firmware and the CPS