Multiple TG Lists in a Zone (Bug?)

OpenGD77CPS
VK5FSCK

Multiple TG Lists in a Zone (Bug?)

Post by VK5FSCK » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:45 pm

I running the Latest CPS as of 20221027

I understand there is a limitation of 32 Digital Contacts per TG Lists. The problem I have is, I have two TG Lists in a Zone when I have that particular Zone in my RT3S I have to use the channel knob to change between the TG Lists but when I move around channels in one TG List and switch back to the other and the Digital Contact is not where I left it at, and visa versa

Regards & 73
Dale de VK5ZSH

VK3KYY

Re: Multiple TG Lists in a Zone (Bug?)

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:12 pm

Its not a strictly speaking a bug.

We don't store the channel selected in each zone or the TG list index in each channel, as the codeplug does not have a space for this

Potentially we could store this in RAM, but the radios don't have much RAM. Also writing this data back to non volatile storage in the rsdio causes problems because flash memory is slow and has limited number of Write cycles

E.g. if someone has 1000 channels and keeps the radio on for days and changes the TG in each channel, we would need to re-read all channels from the flash memory , modify them all and write them all back to flash , when the radio is turned off

This risks corrupting the channel data if there is a power glitch etc e.g someone does this in a high RF envrioment etc etc

So we generally avoid writing the channel data as its risky

VK5FSCK

Re: Multiple TG Lists in a Zone (Bug?)

Post by VK5FSCK » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:04 pm

Hi Roger,

Thanks for taking the time to explain that, most my common TG I have in the one zone and not much used ones in another so it not a big deal, just found it amusing :lol: