Last Heard name corrupted from DMARC Repeater

kt4lh

Last Heard name corrupted from DMARC Repeater

Post by kt4lh » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:58 pm

I am seeing it show what looks like a bit of random garbage in the Last Heard on a DMARC repeater here.

https://imgur.com/a/ZIVGRMN

Above is a picture of the last heard screen. I'm offhand not sure what it shows on the display while active, the repeater is quiet right now and I haven't seen any activity since I saw this. The first character does seem correct, interestingly, so the first call the name is Jerry, but it's showing "Jù?" and the second call is Thomas and it shows "Tù?". I'm aware these characters are valid characters, but not for these names. :)

The repeater is linked to Brandmeister, it's through a C-Bridge to Brandmeister and I was listening to it directly. I don't know anything else about it really, but let me know if there's anything useful to know and I can ask.

F1RMB

Re: Last Heard name corrupted from DMARC Repeater

Post by F1RMB » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:30 pm

Hi Marc,
kt4lh wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:58 pm
I am seeing it show what looks like a bit of random garbage in the Last Heard on a DMARC repeater here.

https://imgur.com/a/ZIVGRMN

Above is a picture of the last heard screen. I'm offhand not sure what it shows on the display while active, the repeater is quiet right now and I haven't seen any activity since I saw this. The first character does seem correct, interestingly, so the first call the name is Jerry, but it's showing "Jù?" and the second call is Thomas and it shows "Tù?". I'm aware these characters are valid characters, but not for these names. :)

The repeater is linked to Brandmeister, it's through a C-Bridge to Brandmeister and I was listening to it directly. I don't know anything else about it really, but let me know if there's anything useful to know and I can ask.
I thought DMARC did not use talked alias ?

Cheers.
---
Daniel

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:46 pm

I wasn't expecting to see anything from a DMARC repeater either, but most callsigns are coming through, just the name is weird.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:06 am

AFIK DMR MARC does not support TA.

Unless perhaps your local repeater admin is doing some experiments.

Do you have any DMR ID data loaded, which could contain the IDs of those stations.

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:25 am

If you turn on live logs while communicating through the repeater, you'll see any talker alias being transmitted at the beginning of transmissions.

IIRC the display information is sourced from a number of places, and there is a priority.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:39 am

Hi Marc,
kd2lh wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:25 am
If you turn on live logs while communicating through the repeater, you'll see any talker alias being transmitted at the beginning of transmissions.

IIRC the display information is sourced from a number of places, and there is a priority.
I'm lost here. Is it a local repeater you're listening from the air ?.
I mean, if you're listening that repeater from the network (Internet), using an OpenGD77 featured HT, it will fill the gap of the missing TA (after few frames), as it get callsign from MMDVMHost and embed them to hand made TA frames.
This is only happening on DMARC/IPSC2 networks.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:36 pm

I knew it would happen eventually.... KT4LH not equal to KD2LH.....

Of course, I'm "left handed" so I love my callsign.

It's also made me put staying in a "Lima Hotel" on m bucket list...
Last edited by kd2lh on Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:26 pm

Hi Marc (this time I'm right),
kd2lh wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:36 pm

LOL, sorry for the confusion. You know, age, wreckage, that kind of stuff ;)

Cheers.
---
Daniel

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:56 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:39 am
I'm lost here. Is it a local repeater you're listening from the air ?.
I mean, if you're listening that repeater from the network (Internet), using an OpenGD77 featured HT, it will fill the gap of the missing TA (after few frames), as it get callsign from MMDVMHost and embed them to hand made TA frames.
This is only happening on DMARC/IPSC2 networks.

Cheers.
---
Daniel
This is directly off a repeater, I don't know much about it except that it's DMARC and cBridge. But no, I don't have ANY contacts at all in my GD77, just talkgroups. So I'm surprised that anything is showing up at all, maybe it was cached from being on the hotspot earlier? I have since turned the radio off and back on and I'm still seeing callsigns and 'corrupted' names.

At least I don't think I have any digital contacts stored anywhere, it's possible? I had it downloaded before moving to OpenGD77 but haven't done it since. I don't see any hams in the Digital Contacts in the radio nor in the OpenGD77 CPS, is there another place to look? Maybe this is some data that' still stored in the radio?

EDIT: I found where is in the CPS, Extras->DMR ID, but there's nothing there. Empty dialog. Even after downloading from the radio again.
Last edited by kt4lh on Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:57 pm

kd2lh wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:36 pm

It's also made me put staying in a "Lima Hotel" on m bucket list...
That is funny, I'd seen your posts but I hadn't paid enough attention to notice how similar our callsigns are ;) Left Handed is better than what they used to call me; love handles. :(