text message DMR

Ik0nwg

text message DMR

Post by Ik0nwg » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:06 pm

I noticed that some civil organizations, not amateur radio, which use intensely dmr messaging puts the radio in crisis by interrupting the scan, turning off and restarting the radio. I noticed that by inserting the skip on these memories the radio works correctly. I was wondering if it was possible to put 1 option to disable / enable this type of messaging flow. thanks
Sal

VK3KYY

Re: text message DMR

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:04 pm

Interesting.

I didn’t think the radio crashed If it heard a SMS but I will need to test again

HI8NLO

Post by HI8NLO » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:31 pm

This happened to me with the local utility. I used HackRF and dspplus to check what was exactly being transmitted and realized a couple of things:

1. Their Motorola MOTORTRBO system sends a "ping" every couple of seconds.
2. Every couple minutes their system does a radio check.
3. For both cases, the firmware instructs the screen to turn on (not necessarily a bug but it may be taxing in terms of battery consumption since the screen essentially never gets the chance of turning off even with a 5s timeout.
3. After several minutes of this with the latest firmware in scan mode, the radio resets itself.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:04 pm

HI8NLO wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:31 pm
This happened to me with the local utility. I used HackRF and dspplus to check what was exactly being transmitted and realized a couple of things:

1. Their Motorola MOTORTRBO system sends a "ping" every couple of seconds.
2. Every couple minutes their system does a radio check.
3. For both cases, the firmware instructs the screen to turn on (not necessarily a bug but it may be taxing in terms of battery consumption since the screen essentially never gets the chance of turning off even with a 5s timeout.
3. After several minutes of this with the latest firmware in scan mode, the radio resets itself.
Yes. The ping is a known bug , its on the To Do list.

HI8NLO

Post by HI8NLO » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:37 am

Many thanks Roger to you and the team for the hard work of keeping the project documented and organized with so many requests and interactions.