RD-5R display problem

F1RMB

Re: RD-5R display problem

Post by F1RMB » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:14 pm

Hi,

Have you tried to reset the settings (SK2 + PowerOn).
It sounds like a hardware problem.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:51 am

baudrunner wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:48 am
I really like the RD-5R because of it's formfactor and the OpenGD77 firmware, but looks like it is completely sold out.
It looks like the GD77 and other similar radios are not currently being manufactured. Its unknown whether production will start again in the future

The problem is the CPU chip is unobtainable, lead times for the CPU on mouser.com etc are 12 months :-(

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:36 am

baudrunner wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:17 am
Hehe,

I fixed it for a short period of time, it was a short circuit with loose screw inside. But while I was putting everything back together, I cracked the display........ :roll:
Thx for your help.
Looks like I have to wait for an offer on ebay.
umm.

Bad luck on multiple occasions.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:08 pm

baudrunner wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:17 am
Hehe,

I fixed it for a short period of time, it was a short circuit with loose screw inside. But while I was putting everything back together, I cracked the display........ :roll:
Thx for your help.
Looks like I have to wait for an offer on ebay.
So is the radio totally broken now ?

Do you have a logic analyser dongle ? Could you take the radio apart, connect a logic analyser to the FM broadcast radio clip, load the official firmware, and then capture what data it sends to the FM radio chip in order to receive FM broadcast radio (100Mhz band) ??

I have a RD5R, but I don't think I'm ever going to open it again, because the hardware is a nightmare, and its very easy to break it, plus some things are glued down.

dl9sec

Post by dl9sec » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:14 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:08 pm

Do you have a logic analyser dongle ? Could you take the radio apart, connect a logic analyser to the FM broadcast radio clip, load the official firmware, and then capture what data it sends to the FM radio chip in order to receive FM broadcast radio (100Mhz band) ??

I have a RD5R, but I don't think I'm ever going to open it again, because the hardware is a nightmare, and its very easy to break it, plus some things are glued down.
Isn't it a RD5802 compatible clone inside the RD-5R?

Maybe this helps: http://www.elazary.com/index.php?option ... mitstart=4

But I suspect that there is some kind of audio routing in the RD-5R that needs to be handled...

Regards, Thorsten

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:16 pm

dl9sec wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:14 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:08 pm

Isn't it a RD5802 compatible clone inside the RD-5R?

Maybe this helps: http://www.elazary.com/index.php?option ... mitstart=4

But I suspect that there is some kind of audio routing in the RD-5R that needs to be handled...

Regards, Thorsten

The FM radio chip in the RD5R is not the same as in the UV5R etc

I read the device ID register and it contains a different ID.

I also read all the other registers and compared them with the default values for the RD5802, But the values were completely different.

So it appears it is a different chip