Flaws with new versions (scan/recognising burst)

S58SMS

Flaws with new versions (scan/recognising burst)

Post by S58SMS » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:44 am

Dear all,

as developers didn't respond on my mail (maybe wrong one :?: ), i have decided to post it here:

first of all i have to thank you for all the time and support / development of opengd77 project and apologize that my mail will be a little bit long. I have to say i have tested diferent types of systems, but in general - your project is along anytone one - far the best for what we need and i would really like to help you making it better. On my baofeng 1801 and gd77, i have installed older version of gd77 (stable release from june/july i think), it was released in a summer last year and is far far the best :arrow: . Than, few weeks ago i have tested latest fw on gd77 and mobile rt90 and compared it to baofeng 1801 with older firmware.

Of course, latest version has many new options as dmr rx agc, beeps etc., which is making this fw even better - but it's not so good in scanning sense and recognising bursts, but funny part is, it was perfect on older stable release from summer last year, so i'm not shure what has changed on a source code or why somebody would make it worser intentional :?: :idea: .

Having in your mind, that i have the same settings (scanning 30msec etc.), i have found out, that scanning on older fw is better because:
a) on an new fw, scanning through the dmr systems is sometimes interrupted by dmr repeater carrier, which doesn't include voice data, but is only dmr burst with other data. If you have hold time set for example for 5 seconds, the interrupted station will last as long as the burst is + 5 sec - without any voice or so and than continioue to scan. If you monitor commercial cap+ tier 3 system, it's interrupted very often - because of the constant bursts. :!: :!: Of course it's ham oriented but on older mentioned fw, it works with no problem - this event /problem never happens. :geek:
b) sometimes, but much more often the scanning through dmr systems also stops for 2 secs (i'm not shure why) when it finds burst of dmr without voice data. In older fw release it happens, but only stops for a second, which makes scan even faster. Is this maybe somehow connected to "filter time"? IDK.

Of course this station is not meant for scanning (buy a scanner) and commercial use - but maybe you can check what have changed from last year and compare? I don't care about handhelds, i just use older fw which is and will be save on different discs :), but on RT90 i cannont install older FW. Is it possible to port older one somehow to mobile stations too?

:arrow: :arrow: Regarding "ignore bad crc checksum" or ignore RAS - both FW work it out with no problem - but those with older FW, it even shows TG and ID, new fw doesnt.

Please, comment in polite way and do not be rude to my findings - i did not make up this, I can proof you anytime with video, if you not believe.

S58SMS

Re: Flaws with new versions (scan/recognising burst)

Post by S58SMS » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:07 am

Hmm... developers doesn't have a clue what has changed :ugeek: :shock: :o

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:05 am

Oh... You are one of those guys...

S58SMS

Post by S58SMS » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:09 am

:?: :?: One of those, who finds flaws and reports to developers?

CU7AAZ

Post by CU7AAZ » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:29 pm

Hi vselic,
can you please contact me?

thanks!

S58SMS

Post by S58SMS » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:44 am

No problem, but hive me a contact details

ve2ugo

Post by ve2ugo » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:06 pm

Since the last 2 FWs, it is regular that I only hear DMR data instead of voice. I am not able to understand the exact conditions that create the problem but it happens regularly.
Occasionally I see a signal, but nothing, no voice and DMR frame audio, no decoding.
But most of the time I hear the DMR noise and sometimes the trick is to change channels and come back and it resets but many times it does nothing. I have attempted to close the radio and open it again with mixed results.
This is happening on my 2 hotspots. I redid the test with my 878 and no problem under the same conditions.

S58SMS

Post by S58SMS » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:09 am

I have tested yesterday, the same as you said - slower scan, data bursts stop scan + wierd noises; the same is if you are on one channel, without scan + i have aslo found out, if i'm on the vfo mode on a channel, it doesn't do it - but i need longer test, so will report if this is true. The scan is also slower in vfo, than in previous stable release from summer last year - last release from old team.
Developers are ignoring my messages, but im 1000% shure that others also have the same problems, because i have tested on gd77, baofeng 1801 and rt90, so its fw problem.

AA3RP

Post by AA3RP » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:05 pm

S58SMS wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:09 am
I have tested yesterday, the same as you said - slower scan, data bursts stop scan + wierd noises; the same is if you are on one channel, without scan + i have aslo found out, if i'm on the vfo mode on a channel, it doesn't do it - but i need longer test, so will report if this is true. The scan is also slower in vfo, than in previous stable release from summer last year - last release from old team.
Developers are ignoring my messages, but im 1000% shure that others also have the same problems, because i have tested on gd77, baofeng 1801 and rt90, so its fw problem.
S58SMS,

Let me start out by stating if intended or not, this thread suffers from two points.
(1) First is that is in the wrong area. This is the development area for 'developers' (those that actually compose / compile / verify the final binary files) to discuss issues related to the development process and goals. The more appropriate place would be under Bug Reports area. It is understandable that this might be placed here due to a lack of clear understanding, yet it is still misplaced.
(2) Second, and the more fundamental is the manner (attitude) in which you post. I do not doubt what you are reporting, yet you do so in a manner that is accusing of those doing the fundamental work of this effort / project implying malice on their part. For example from the beginning post of this thread your first sentence is, and I
Quote,
"Dear all,

as developers didn't respond on my mail (maybe wrong one :?: ), i have decided to post it here:"
Even if what you state is factual there was and is no need to express it to all who come to this place. Your initial post of this thread would have NOT lost any value or relevant content if you had just left that first statement out. Now in you latest posting you state
Quote,
"Developers are ignoring my messages, but im 1000% shure that others also have the same problems, because i have tested on gd77, baofeng 1801 and rt90, so its fw problem."
Again accusing the developers of malice towards you. Also you have convinced yourself that you know where the fault / issue is. I believe you would be wise to take a step back on that, and I will explain below.

I personally have five (5) of MD-9600 of various hardware revisions, two (2) of the GD-77, two (2) of the DM-1801 (originals), and one (1) RD-5r. I have the latest firmware installed on all ten (10) of those radios and I use them nearly daily and usually have them scanning both analog and DMR repeaters. When I am at my home either in PA or TN in the US I have a MD-9600 running full time scanning the local analog and DMR repeaters. I personally DO NOT have the issue you are describing. Neither have I had it while traveling with my mobile or HTs.
That does not mean you are not experiencing it, as I believe you in what you report. What I do take exception with is that you conclude the fault for it has to lie with the FW and developers. DMR is a 'standard' that is implemented by MANY vendors. On top of that when setting up a DMR repeater there are many configuration issues for both hardware and software. It is possible that what you are hearing is due to configuration / implication choices by the vendors / owners / operators have made. The developers of this Open firmware maybe actually follow the DMR standard / configuration more correctly then others and as such may show up as not being able to 'decode' what was decoded prior. It would not be the first time I seen something like this.

To conclude as this has been long already, I humbly suggest the following,
1. Request this be moved to bug reports. No one doubts 'your' experience
2. It is clear to me you feel disrespected and ignored, but your personal feelings really should not play a role in your reporting and postings. Being disrespectful because you feel disrespected is never a good way forward.
3. I sincerely suggest you be slower to assign fault to someone or something. I have seen and experienced many a time fixing something ends up revealing an issue / problem that had been hidden. Often not even of their own making.

I end with the hope that this thread can move to a better foundation and footing and the issue can come to be clearly understood and dealt with in a productive manner.

Sincerely,
AA3RP

S58SMS

Post by S58SMS » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:14 am

Hello,

i'm not acusing anybody, or at least it was not intentional - in this thread, i have also thank for all the work, that was done in the past - yet, this is one of the best fw in my opinion. So to be clear, my point is only and again - only, to make it even better and to report bugs. I have also posted that: "Please, comment in polite way and do not be rude to my findings - i did not make up this,..." So my intentions are not to be rude.

If anybody takes it as acusing, i have to apologize. I will prepare a video and post link to the bugs thread or if possible to replace it manually?

BR