[Fixed in later beta release] Display/keyboard backlight oddity

KI5GZK

[Fixed in later beta release] Display/keyboard backlight oddity

Post by KI5GZK » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:14 am

I noticed that my back light on my GD-77 will start pulsing slightly brighter in regular intervals after 8 to 10 seconds after it turns on.
This seems to only be noticeable when the brightness is set to 10 or less and the eco level is set to 3 or higher. It is the most noticeable at eco level 5.
I have my back light time out set to 30 seconds.

This only seems to happen when using either of the last two beta firmware, 11/14 and 11/17.

VK3KYY

Re: Display/keyboard backlight oddity

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:44 am

KI5GZK wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:14 am
I noticed that my back light on my GD-77 will start pulsing slightly brighter in regular intervals after 8 to 10 seconds after it turns on.
This seems to only be noticeable when the brightness is set to 10 or less and the eco level is set to 3 or higher. It is the most noticeable at eco level 5.
I have my back light time out set to 30 seconds.

This only seems to happen when using either of the last two beta firmware, 11/14 and 11/17.
I checked the code and this is a mistake in the power saving code, which was intended only for stress testing the power saving.

It will be mostly fixed in the next public beta.

With the new power saving measures, we can't avoid a very small flicker when entering and existing the deepest power saving, but it should not happen when either the radio is idle or receiving a signal, only when it changes between either of those 2 states when Eco mode is > 0

KI5GZK

Re: Display/keyboard backlight oddity

Post by KI5GZK » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:12 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:44 am
I checked the code and this is a mistake in the power saving code, which was intended only for stress testing the power saving.

It will be mostly fixed in the next public beta.

With the new power saving measures, we can't avoid a very small flicker when entering and existing the deepest power saving, but it should not happen when either the radio is idle or receiving a signal, only when it changes between either of those 2 states when Eco mode is > 0
The pulsing does stop when a signal is being received. I also noticed that the display dims slightly 4 to 5 seconds after the last key press, and will brighten back up with another key press. But that's not that big of an issue. The pulsing is a tad annoying though! :)

Thank you for looking into this issue.