[Fixed in later beta] TS filter timer not working properly

UA0LMC

[Fixed in later beta] TS filter timer not working properly

Post by UA0LMC » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:22 am

Hello. I've noticed incorrect TS filter behavior. Tested this on two radios.

One radio is RD-5r, tested both R2021052901 and R2021071101 firmware with the same results.
Conditions: the radio is tuned to a local repeater, TS filter is off, filter time set to 15 seconds. I talk to TS2 TG.
When I release the PTT and there is some TS1 activity - the radio immediately receives the user from TS1 as a late entry, not waiting for the filter time.
If there was no TS1 activity the moment I released the PTT - the radio ignores any of the following TS1 activities for 15 seconds, as it should.

The other radio is DM-1801 with 2021-11-10 public beta.
Conditions are the same.
Filter time is completely ignored, the radio is either always receives TS1 when TS filter is off, or always ignores when it's on.

VK3KYY

Re: TS filter timer not working properly

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:13 am

This is not a bug, its the way the TS Rx filter disabling functions. TS filter disabling is not intended for making qso's, its only to monitor both TS

The Tx TS is not set to the currently received TS when the TS filter is disabled
On the display the Tx TS is displayed in inverse video and this does no change based on which TS the radio is receiving.

So although in your case you heard a signal on TS2 and the radio Rx locked onto to TS2, if your radio was set to TS1 for that channel / vfo, you would be transmitting on TS1.

The TS filter system, is not TS Dual Watch, which is what you want it to do, i.e you would require the Tx TS to change based on the Rx signal TS

TS Dual Watch is not a supported feature

UA0LMC

Post by UA0LMC » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:12 am

Well, It's completely not what I mean. I'll try to explain in another words.

I wish the radio to stay in TS2 during QSO, and also I want to hear an answer there - not somebody from TS1. And when the QSO is over (no activity in TS2 for more than 15 seconds, or whatever the filter time is) I'd like to monitor both TS1 and TS2, hence TS filter is disabled. I also DO NOT want the radio to switch TX TS until I explicitly switch it one way or another.

But now I see the following behavior (the things I don't like are in italic).
The stable version:
Case 1:
I've pressed the PTT in TS2. Then somebody else has pressed and holds the PTT in TS1.
When I release the PTT - I immediately hear TS1, not TS2.

Case 2:
I've pressed and then released the PTT in TS2. Then somebody has pressed the PTT in TS1 in less than 15 seconds after I've released the PTT.
The radio works as it should: it ignores TS1 and stays in TS2 for 15 seconds, then monitors both TS if there was no TS2 activity.

Case 3:
I've pressed and then released the PTT in TS2. Then somebody has pressed the PTT in TS1 in more than 15 seconds after I've released the PTT.
The radio works as it should: I hear TS1.

The beta:
Case 1:
I've pressed the PTT in TS2. Then somebody has pressed and holds the PTT in TS1.
When I release the PTT - I immediately hear TS1, not TS2.

Case 2:
I've pressed and then released the PTT in TS2. Then somebody has pressed the PTT in TS1 in less than 15 seconds after I've released the PTT.
I hear TS1, not TS2.

Case 3:
I've pressed and then released the PTT in TS2. Then somebody has pressed the PTT in TS1 in more than 15 seconds after I've released the PTT.
I hear TS1.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:33 am

Hi,

The filter time got broken some times ago, but fixed for months (around the beginning of August).
I just tried and it works as expected here (traffic on TS1, using parrot on TS2: it sticks there for 10s, making me able to listen my feedback

---
Daniel

UA0LMC

Post by UA0LMC » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:09 am

F1RMB wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:33 am
I just tried and it works as expected here (traffic on TS1, using parrot on TS2: it sticks there for 10s, making me able to listen my feedback
What firmware version do you use?
I've tested latest stable 2021-07-11 release and last 2021-11-10 beta - both have problems. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:13 am

Hi,
UA0LMC wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:09 am
F1RMB wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:33 am
What firmware version do you use?
I've tested latest stable 2021-07-11 release and last 2021-11-10 beta - both have problems. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?
I'm always using the latest dev code, hence it's pretty similar to the latest public beta (2021-11-10 now).

Cheers.
---
Daniel

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:17 am

Hi,

What filters have you turned off, except the TS one ?

Cheers.
---
Daniel

UA0LMC

Post by UA0LMC » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:44 am

Both radios (RD-5R with stable and DM-1801 with beta) have the similar config:
DMR filter - off
CC filter - on
TS filter - off
Filter - CTCSS|DCS
Eco level - 3
Filter time - 15s.

Well, things are getting more interesting...
When I tried to change the filter time back to default 10s on my DM-1801 with the latest beta - the problem has gone. Returned to 15s - radio still works OK. Tried to do the same on RD-5r with stable - no effect, as expected.
I've already tried the change to 16s or 14s before, and then back to 15s again - and it had no effect. Maybe it has something to do with the way settings are saved to eeprom.

Anyway, for now the problem is solved.

UA0LMC

Post by UA0LMC » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:10 pm

Well, I probably found another bug - or it's something wrong only with my radio again.

The radio is the same DM-1801 with 2021-11-10 beta with settings as above. It's in TS2 on standby, with TS filter off, and there was no repeater activity for more than 15 seconds.

Then somebody starts to talk in TS1. I hear TS1 - but when I press SK2 to switch there I hear nothing for 15 seconds. The radio shows TS1 on display after pressing SK2 - but in fact it listens to TS2, I tried to transmit to TS2 from another radio and heard myself.

If I press left arrow or right arrow key to switch back to TS2 right after pressing SK2 - I immediately hear TS1 again.

I upgraded the firmware to 2021-11-14 beta, and also performed a sequence of "read settings with CPS, perform an SK2+orange button+power-on reset, write settings back to radio, enter other settings manually" to make sure the radio config is OK. The problem persists.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:21 pm

If you enable Monitor mode (lonnnnng SK2), and heard something on TS2, it will stay for "Filter time" seconds, then it will switch to the other TS if there is still activity.
Same if the currently active TS become silent, it will stay locked on that TS for the "filter time" seconds before trying to monitor on the other TS.