Incorrect transmitter parameters after install of OpenRD5R

F1RMB

Re: Incorrect transmitter parameters after install of OpenRD5R

Post by F1RMB » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:45 pm

Hi,
WA5JDM wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:13 pm
Where did I suggest that the calibration is part of the Codeplug? I have never thought that to be the case.
In the opening post ;-)
But you just mentioned the DMR problem right now.

WA5JDM wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:13 pm
As for what happened during the upgrade, my recollections are foggy at best. What I do know is spelled out in the apparently misunderstood initial report. The radio would not transmit on DMR, I backed up the calibration data and found that it was not correct.

New info, the radio will xmit analog, but not DMR.

I am totally in the dark as to how that happened and I doubt that you or anyone else will figure it out. I have gone back and forth from the baofeng firmware, the radio works, to OpenRD5R, the radio does not transmit on DMR, about 5 times. By the way, just as a test to see what data would persist at f8000, I put a copy of calibration data there from another RD-5R. That calibration data has persisted. The original pattern from the first calibration backup, the one with the un-explainable errors, is replaced by the data from my other RD-5R. The erroneous first 8 bytes are gone.

I'm considering getting a frequency counter to check the transmit accuracy of the radio after restoring it to "original" so many times. If good, there must be a copy of the factory calibration data laying around in that radio somewhere. If you know the answer to that riddle, I would like to hear it.

I hope this post has improved the level of understanding.

Thanks again, you are a trooper,
John
If your radio don't transmit in DMR it because you didn't followed the documented flash procedure:
https://www.opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1770

Follow it, step by step, even if the post is long, it's simple, and in the end you will have a DMR featured installed firmware.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

WA5JDM

Post by WA5JDM » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:11 pm

Pavel,

The answer to your questions YES.

I just read a post from Daniel and guess what, the instructions call for the GD-77 firmware to be used for the DMR code. I pointed to the RD-5R firmware, OUCH. My brain heard something different from my eyes. I was so hung up on the differences between RD-5R and GD-77 that I jumped to the conclusion that I was to get the RD-5R version.

Thank you,

John

WA5JDM

Post by WA5JDM » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:57 pm

Daniel,

Please search this thread for "codeplug" and let me know what you find.

I tried using the correct version of GD-77 firmware to get the DMR code, same result.

The calibration data is the copy from my other radio and it does appear to be the issue.

I regressed to the factory firmware and the radio works fine.

If there is a way to get a copy of the calibration from working factory install on this radio, we can compare and introduce it back into the Open77 version.

If that isn't possible, I'm going to get another radio, perhaps a GD-77, more features anyway.

John

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:08 pm

John,
WA5JDM wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:57 pm
Daniel,

Please search this thread for "codeplug" and let me know what you find.

I tried using the correct version of GD-77 firmware to get the DMR code, same result.

The calibration data is the copy from my other radio and it does appear to be the issue.

I regressed to the factory firmware and the radio works fine.

If there is a way to get a copy of the calibration from working factory install on this radio, we can compare and introduce it back into the Open77 version.

If that isn't possible, I'm going to get another radio, perhaps a GD-77, more features anyway.

John

Can you post a screenshot of the "Firmware Info" screen ?
Of course, in case your calibration are corrupted, I can provide a copy of mine, but that's the last solution to apply.

But first post a screengrab of the Firmware info", e.g using the "Extra" -> "OpenGD77 support" -> "Download screengrab".

Cheers.
---
Daniel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:03 pm

ok1pt wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:34 pm
Hi!
I read this thread several times and it seems that there is a lot of misunderstandings in it. Let's try to clarify it :-).
So, John, the problem appeared after flashing the firmware of your Baofeng RD-5R with OpenRD5R binary image. Is it right ?
In one of your posts you write, that the radio transmits in FM but not in DMR. Is it right ?
So, these two symptoms together obviously indicate, that this is not a problem with calibration data but with the firmware itself.
To operate on DMR, you have to download the official firmware file, put it somewhere on your computer and inform the CPS, where it resides. The CPS will then link the OpenRD5R image with parts of the original firmware (especially, the AMBE codec) and flash it to your radio.
Unfortunately, having only Radioddity GD-77s, I don't know exactly, which version of official firmware you need, especially if it's possible to use the recommended Radioddity GD-77 firmware for Baofeng radio (because the AMBE codec is just a set of mathematical subroutines, it's possible that it's system independent and will work as well)...
I believe that we can find a solution, it's just neccessary to read carefully the firmware install instructions (the NEW ones, valid for current CPS/firmware versions) and follow them.
WIth regards / 73,
Pavel
FYI.

We use the official firmware for all these radios, because even though the radios appear to come from different manufacturers, the firmware for all these radios is written by the same company and the AMBE codec is identical.

It would be unnecessary extra work for me to write the CPS and firmware for each radio to use a different donor firmware, especially because we have to cut the official firmware into multiole sections to extract just the AMBE parts.

Also, Radiddity seem to be the only reliable source of firmware, because the host the files on a Amazon (AWS) server.
Baofeng don't have a good website and finding baofeng firmware is difficult. Even TYT don't have firmware for all their radios on their website.

WA5JDM

Post by WA5JDM » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:33 pm

JohnOpenGD77screenshot.png
JohnOpenGD77screenshot.png (4.3 KiB) Viewed 3030 times
Daniel,

I hope this is what you were looking for.

John

WA5JDM

Post by WA5JDM » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:57 pm

Daniel,

Realized I screwed up.
JohnOpenGD77screenshot1.png
JohnOpenGD77screenshot1.png (4.25 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
John

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:58 pm

WA5JDM wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:33 pm
JohnOpenGD77screenshot.png

Daniel,

I hope this is what you were looking for.

John
Did you tell us the exact age and model of your radio ?

Baofeng make multiple different versions of the "RD-5R", I have seen at least 4 different variants of this radio under different names.

Can you also confirm which firmware file you actually loaded?

The firmware loader does not check whether the firmware you load is correct for the radio you are loading it onto.
We have no way to detect this.

BTW.
The screengrab feature can't distinguish which radio you are using and since the RD5R has a smaller screen, the screengrab ends up with some radio pixels at the bottom

Edit

I see you say its a

RD-5R, hardware version 1.0.3

How did you determine the hardware version ?

WA5JDM

Post by WA5JDM » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:32 pm

The basic data is read from the radio using a function of the Baofeng CPS.

John

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:46 pm

WA5JDM wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:32 pm
The basic data is read from the radio using a function of the Baofeng CPS.

John
You can't use the Baofeng CPS with this firmware