Radio ignoring channel timeslot setting

kt4lh

Radio ignoring channel timeslot setting

Post by kt4lh » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:31 pm

I know I must be doing something crazy, I can't figure out what, but I've just noticed that I seem to always be on TS1 on my GD77 no matter what channel I'm set to. I generally have a Repeater A TS1 and Repeater A TS2, etc, obviously it's not strictly needed on the GD77 and probably should clean it up but.... I've double checked both in the CPS and in the radio itself, the "TS1" channel is set to slot 1 and the "TS2" channel is set to slot 2.

Testing and hitting a local repeater flipping between these two TS1 and TS2 channels, I'm always shown as TS1 on the Brandmeister Last Heard.. Also I've noticed that on both channels the header on the display always shows TS1.

If I use * to toggle timeslot, it does toggle the header on the screen and does transmit on TS2. So it seems the radio is completely ignoring the timeslot set on the channel.

I don't think this has anything to do with the timeslot over-ride which is per-contact (which seems to have defaulted to TS1) as I'm typing in ##9990, plus for giggles I modified my Parrot group to None for over-ride (again, for some reason had defaulted to TS1) and it didn't seem to matter.

Am I crazy, is this a regression, or? Very possible I've missed some intentional change. I'm on the latest firmware as far as I know, July 11 2021. I have a pretty strong feeling this must be user error but just seems strange to have a timeslot setting in the channels that isn't setting it to that timeslot. I'm sure this used to work the way I'm expecting it to.

kt4lh

Re: Radio ignoring channel timeslot setting

Post by kt4lh » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:34 pm

Hmm, maybe this is intentional but it's still odd.

viewtopic.php?t=1316
Changing the Channel should not change the TS or the TG (Unless a different TG list is used for the Channel)
Changing the Zone should not change the TS or the TG (Unless a different TG list is used for the Channel in the Zone)
So from that post, it's working as expected. I am changing the channel but it is not affecting the TS. Although this still seems a bit counter-intuitive to me. But I suppose this exposes how little I've used DMR a bit, mostly just RX, or I would have noticed this before. I'm not sure I agree with this statement, however, if I change from a channel on TS1 to my hotspot on TS2, which is set to 2, and it stays on 1, that seems like it'd be problematic. But that said my hotspot doesn't seem to care, I tested on both my DMR radios and it seems to work all the same

I decided to remove all the timeslot-specific channels from my codeplug as they're really pretty pointless anyway, that'll help from me getting confused about it. I mostly did it because I was attempting to let the radio guide me about which talk groups to use on which timeslots but that winds up being a mess on multiple repeaters so I gave up on trying to make that work without a bunch of duplicated data in the CPS.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:42 am

There isn't a solution to this which suits everyone's own operating style

It very much depends on your own local repeater network.

People who are mobile or portable and have access to lots of repaeaters, me included, can just change channel in the middle of a QSO and the TS etc remains the same if its been overridden onto the TS / TG.

There is a display option which show when various overrides are applied

https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_Us ... de.md#info

AFIK, you can clear a TS override by long press *

But I see that its doesnt appear to be documented in the User Guide :-(

I've logged this as a bug in User Guide

https://github.com/LibreDMR/OpenGD77_UserGuide/issues/4

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:58 pm

Roger,

Certainly agree it varies, but always maintaining the current TS even if the channel has a different defined seems odd. I have repeaters in my area that vary which TS they want you to use their static TG's on. Almost all of them have my statewide talkgroup as a static, but some of them they prefer that on TS1 and others TS2. Or if my hotspot cared about TS1 vs TS2, going from a repeater on TS1 to my hotspot might not work, etc.

I had missed the long-press *, and I see what the behavior is now. If you ever over-ride by (short) * it over-rides globally. If you clear it with long-press *, it no longer does, again, globally and across reboots. Yeah, tricky to cover both types of cases.

CPS option: REALLY REALLY override. Kidding. A little ;)

daratt

Post by daratt » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:18 pm

Hi all

apologies to hijack this thread...

I have commercial repeaters programmed for TS1 and TS2.

Each repeater uses the same TG on each slot and when I change between the channel memory for TS1 and TS2 - the TS remains as 1 on the screen.

Without having to toggle TS with the * button (which defeats the concept of TS1 on one channel and TS2 on the next channel), is there a setting by which flicking back and forth between the memories for TS1 and TS2 will indeed keep the actual TS as per the CPS programming.

thank you.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:32 pm

Press and hold Star to disable the manual TS override
Also check that you did not program a TS override on the TG ( in the CPS)

ve2bap

Post by ve2bap » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:39 pm

Hello, I also had this issue on my TYT MD-9600 & RadioDitty GD77 radios (running with OpenGD77): It ignored timeslot entered into a channel when I selected it. It remained on the last TS selected.

After reading this forum, I fixed it:
On RadioDitty GD-77: long-press on *
On TYT MD-9600: long-press on P4

Note: This is a GREAT firmware! It contributed to make me appreciate DMR ;)
Daniel VE2BAP