Strange noise after boot melody if last mode was FM

EA5JAQ

Strange noise after boot melody if last mode was FM

Post by EA5JAQ » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:42 pm

Hi,

I think I've found a bug in my DM-1801. Every time I turn on my radio, if the last channel or VFO before turning it off was analog, a strange "click" noise is heard after the boot melody.

I've been trying to investigate the bug in the code but I haven't found an appropiate solution so far. I think it has to do with the channel data not having been loaded (bc in soundTickMelody in sound.c there's an if clause that sets the audio mux if channel mode is analog, and when the radio is booting, the mode is still RADIO_MODE_NONE). Adding trxSetModeAndBandwidth(RADIO_MODE_ANALOG, false); if the last mode before turning off the radio was analog too solved it for me. But it's a really, really bad solution, that doesn't go to the root of the problem, just poorly patches it.

Anyway, it's a really silly bug, and as I normally use digital channels it doesn't really bother me (if the radio was turned off being in a DMR channel, it doesn't happen), but I'll leave it here just in case someone who understands the code better than I do, can come up with something.

VK3KYY

Re: Strange noise after boot melody if last mode was FM

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:57 pm

EA5JAQ wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:42 pm
Hi,

I think I've found a bug in my DM-1801. Every time I turn on my radio, if the last channel or VFO before turning it off was analog, a strange "click" noise is heard after the boot melody.

I've been trying to investigate the bug in the code but I haven't found an appropiate solution so far. I think it has to do with the channel data not having been loaded (bc in soundTickMelody in sound.c there's an if clause that sets the audio mux if channel mode is analog, and when the radio is booting, the mode is still RADIO_MODE_NONE). Adding trxSetModeAndBandwidth(RADIO_MODE_ANALOG, false); if the last mode before turning off the radio was analog too solved it for me. But it's a really, really bad solution, that doesn't go to the root of the problem, just poorly patches it.

Anyway, it's a really silly bug, and as I normally use digital channels it doesn't really bother me (if the radio was turned off being in a DMR channel, it doesn't happen), but I'll leave it here just in case someone who understands the code better than I do, can come up with something.

The audio chip in the DM1801 doesnt turn off as fast as the chip in the GD77, which causes some unsquelched noise on the DM1801

I think there is a fix for one time this occurs, which will be in the next release, but I don't think it would fix the bug you have.

I'll need to add that to my To Do list

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:14 pm

Hi,

with Roger, we find a way to fix this.
It will be part of the next release.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

EA5JAQ