Nat

Possible problems with RSSI / ACG

Post by Nat » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:29 am

Hi Roger and Daniel,

Double thumb up.
Problem fixed.

Great job.
Thanks to all of you.

P.S. I have seen on the forum WA0YCN complaing for receiver problems (Low signal when breaking squelch).
I checked it and indeed it seem that the RSSI indicator sometimes shows diferent levels when you go on a chanel, then go to a different one then back to the first channel. I have alredy noticed it on last beta revision but I wasn't sure. Maybe WA0YCN is right.

VK3KYY

Re: Possible problems with RSSI / ACG

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:34 am

Nat wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:29 am
Hi Roger and Daniel,

Double thumb up.
Problem fixed.

Great job.
Thanks to all of you.

P.S. I have seen on the forum WA0YCN complying for receiver problems (Low signal when breaking squelch).
I checked it and indeed it seem that the RSSI indicator sometimes shows different levels when you go on a channel, then go to a different one then back to the first channel. I have already noticed it on last beta revision but I wasn't sure. Maybe WA0YCN is right.
OK.

The RSSI may be something to do with the power saving.
It depends when the problem started. (which version)

Nat

Post by Nat » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:45 am

Hi all,

I did more tests, RSSI issues seem to be present only with Eco Level 3 and 4. Not with Eco Level 0, 1 and 2.

Ciao.

Nat

VK3KYY

Re: Greetings from a white-haired Italian

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:54 am

Nat wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:45 am
Hi all,

I did more tests, RSSI issues seem to be present only with Eco Level 3 and 4. Not with Eco Level 0, 1 and 2.

Ciao.

Nat
OK.

The Rx "On" time on level 3 and 4 is less than for Level 1 and 2.
Eco Level 0 the Rx is on constantly.

However once a signal has been received, and the green LED comes on, the Rx is on constantly, so my expectation was that the RSSI value from the Rx would be the same as normal.

I will try to test this tomorrow, but now at 21:55 local, there is no traffic on any local repeaters, either FM or DMR.
I think everyone has gone to bed ;-)

Nat

Post by Nat » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:29 pm

Hi,

Daylight here. I am trying to trace the issue vs version. But it's not easy, it appear not to be always present. I have installed the latest version you posted to me, I am sure I have seen the problem on it one hour ago but now I can't replicate it. I noticed that, when the issue present, it is not just the RSSI showing less signal, it is like if the riceiver gets deaf, less sensitive.
I will keep checking. I let you know if I find something.

Goodnight.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:05 pm

Nat wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:29 pm
Hi,

Daylight here. I am trying to trace the issue vs version. But it's not easy, it appear not to be always present. I have installed the latest version you posted to me, I am sure I have seen the problem on it one hour ago but now I can't replicate it. I noticed that, when the issue present, it is not just the RSSI showing less signal, it is like if the riceiver gets deaf, less sensitive.
I will keep checking. I let you know if I find something.

Goodnight.
Please test on eco level 0 only.

We think this problem is not new and not associated with the Eco level.

Can you load the official firmware and see if you still have the same bug, as it may be a hardware fault in the RX chip in your radio

Nat

Post by Nat » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:38 pm

OK, let me test for it for a couple of days.
I let you know.

Nat

Post by Nat » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:37 pm

Hi,
Test done with Eco Level 0, on version 13:18:16 - Mar 13 2021
I tried it as deep as I could, jumping forth and back on repeaters. I did it for the past two days, never had a lack of signal or diminished sensitivity. Neither a different RSSI level.
Everything looks OK to me.

Original Firmware
I have been using this radio with the original firmware for several months before loading OpenDM1801. As the RSSI meter was just a four bar scale (but only 1 bit used, I guess) there was no way to see the real signal level. Any way I never had the feeling of a "defective" or deaf receiver neither of strange behavior.
Thus, for the above and for the result on testing OpenDM1801 I didn’t think needed nor useful to reload the original firmware.

I keep checking.

Any news from your side?

P.S. I seen a post of Daniel where are shown two screens, I noticed that the RRSI bar has markers on it now. Very nice. I was thinking about it too. If I can give you a suggestion it would be finer if the marker are visible along all the bar. With white dots on black side and dark dots on light part of the bar. I guess it must be introduced an Exclusive OR function for it.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:55 pm

Nat wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:37 pm
Any news from your side?
Colin G4EML investigated the problem last weekend.

The problem still exists on Eco Level 0.
It seems to be more noticeable on VHF
It appears to be a 'feature' of the AT1846S RF chip.

We think the same problem probably exists wit the official firmware, but because there is effectively no RSSI measurement available in that firmware, its very hard to see the problem.
Often the "feeling" of the problem only occurs because of some other clue, e.g. the RSSI meter, so its not possible to rely on a general feeling about a possible bug.

Nat wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:37 pm
P.S. I seen a post of Daniel where are shown two screens, I noticed that the RRSI bar has markers on it now. Very nice. I was thinking about it too. If I can give you a suggestion it would be finer if the marker are visible along all the bar. With white dots on black side and dark dots on light part of the bar. I guess it must be introduced an Exclusive OR function for it.
We have spent a long time trying multiple different displays of RSSI and getting them beta tested by many users and the current display is the best that can be achieved and suits the most people

Nat

Post by Nat » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:54 pm

Thanks again to you all for your the great job.

I keep you informed if I discover something about it.