Wanting to use OPEN GD77 BRICKED My HT and broke 'bootloader mode' :(

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
VK3KYY

Re: Wanting to use OPEN GD77 BRICKED My HT and broke 'bootloader mode' :(

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:09 am

OK.

So its running the official firmware.

K9JPT

Post by K9JPT » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:41 am

It indeed is running whats left of the official software. Do not know full extent of what damage has been done. Can't talk over DMR that's for sure

Attached, I circled the version I downloaded and attempted to install. It is this version that damaged my HT.
Attachments
g821.png
g821.png (60.01 KiB) Viewed 2981 times

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:51 am

I'll try loading that official version onto my GD-77 to see if I can replicate the problem, as I'd like to know what radioddity has done which is preventing further updates.

K9JPT

Post by K9JPT » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:56 am

Thanks for the curiosity! I'm sure the community appreciates that!

It is strange thou. I can no longer update the firmware, DMR no longer works but I can hear NOAA weather reports and QSO on VHF/UHF repeater.

By the way, Did you look the screenshot of the specs on the Jlink I ordered. Does it look good to you?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:43 am

Re: JLink

I think it will be OK.

Re: new firmware

I just posted to the DM-1801 on thread about this.

I loaded the latest official firmware and got a message "low bt version".
I eventually tracked this down to the copy protection bytes, and I was able to restore them from a backup via the JLink.

AFIK there are 2 sets of copy protection bytes data.
One set is for the bootloader and one set for the radio firmware.

So in your case, if you are running the official firmware GD-77_V4.2.8 and are not seeing "low bt version" then not all the copy protection bytes have been erased, but possibly the bootloaders ones have.

This would be very strange, because they are next to each other in the memory.

Anyway, we'll need to wait for your JLink to arrive

K9JPT

Post by K9JPT » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:09 pm

Ok!

As soon as the Jlink arrives I will re-post!

In the interim thank you, stay safe!

73~

SV3RF

Post by SV3RF » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:27 pm

Hi all,
I run for the past at least 2 years Opengd77 as a DMR hotspot for my area. I was having installed all the previous updates without any problems. The last period I noticed some strange disconnections and I try the latest update. That was it. The radio became dead. The PC does not see it at all .
I try also via Linux machine but nothing at all. The only sign of life is that by pressing simultaneously the 2 small buttons on the left and turn it ON the green light lid constantly.
I am afraid as I did a lot of research in the forum archives it needs a bootloader reprogram. I found the patched bootloader here downloads/patched_bootloaders/ and I also have one "ST-Link V2 Programming Unit mini STM8 STM32 Emulator Downloader". I don't know if it is the right one to do the job as I have never use it and I am not very familiar for how to use it. Can someone send me a link for the app I have to use for programming ?
Also the necessary steps to proceed would be much appreciated .
I hope and wish the problem will get solved with a more easy way, e.g reset in a way, without making a "Heart operation".
Seasons greetings
Agelos SV3RF

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:34 pm

SV3RF wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:27 pm
Hi all,
I run for the past at least 2 years Opengd77 as a DMR hotspot for my area. I was having installed all the previous updates without any problems. The last period I noticed some strange disconnections and I try the latest update. That was it. The radio became dead. The PC does not see it at all .
I try also via Linux machine but nothing at all. The only sign of life is that by pressing simultaneously the 2 small buttons on the left and turn it ON the green light lid constantly.
I am afraid as I did a lot of research in the forum archives it needs a bootloader reprogram. I found the patched bootloader here downloads/patched_bootloaders/ and I also have one "ST-Link V2 Programming Unit mini STM8 STM32 Emulator Downloader". I don't know if it is the right one to do the job as I have never use it and I am not very familiar for how to use it. Can someone send me a link for the app I have to use for programming ?
Also the necessary steps to proceed would be much appreciated .
I hope and wish the problem will get solved with a more easy way, e.g reset in a way, without making a "Heart operation".
Seasons greetings
Agelos SV3RF
Constant Green LED is normal for GD77 in the bootloader firmware update mode.
In this mode the radio is a USB HID device
OpenGD77 CPS should be able to upload the firmeware to the radio in this mode.

However, it seems strange that you should need to reload the firmware. Did you try restting the settings, by holding the blue button SK2 when you turn on the radio

Also, AFIK, you can not use a ST-Link dongle to program the NXP MK22 CPU in the GD77, because I think the ST-Link only supports STM CPUs

SV3RF

Post by SV3RF » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:22 pm

Hi Roger,
Many thanks for the quick and positive reply. Reading your answer you saw me the way for a possible hardware failure.
The main suspect was at first the programing cable connecting the radio with the PC. I borrow one from a friend and that was it. Everything works perfect now. The latest update with the raspberry pi is up again and running the Hotspot of our area.
Many Thanks again,
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Agelos-SV3RF