Hello from VK1ED

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
VK1ED

Hello from VK1ED

Post by VK1ED » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:01 pm

Hi All,

Only been licenced for a few years, although have been into electronics/radio for 40 years, and actually did my novice theory in 1987, but failed on the CW component. Life took a different direction, and never got to finish it. Fast forward 35 years and boredom with COVID, and with no CW requirement, completed my Foundation, Standard and Advanced over a couple of years. That's one of the benefits with electronics theory, if you learn it, it is very easy to relearn or update. It's still there in the back of the brain.

Anyhow, actually got a RT3s after I got my foundation, but became frustrated with updating and making changes, to the point the RT3s was relegated to the back draw and I had basically given up on DMR as a bad joke.

As a programmer in multiple languages Perl / PHP / Python / Delphi and working across Windows and Various flavours of Linux I am not afraid of new ideas and techniques, but the original CPS software that comes with these radios is horrific, and you can definitely see its heritage. Almost a perfect example of software developed by a technical engineer to meet a requirement, not a user experience.

Anyhow, I took the plunge and installed the OpenGD77 software on the RT3s.

WOW!!...First of all, fantastic work done on the replacement OpenGD77 firmware by all the Contributing Developers..... but also by all those contributing on the forum and the many Youtube videos creators.

Secondly the OpenGD77 CPS software is just so straight forward, I was able to modify an existing CPS with no errors while learning the openGd77 features, and soon after, also created my own from scratch as well with support for repeaters/hotspot/ analog channels etc, again with no errors on first go.....

Anyhow, hopefully this meets the first post requirements (I run a few websites as well, so understand your reasons)

73's
Bob (VK1ED)

VK3KYY

Re: Hello from VK1ED

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:09 pm

Welcome Bob

With the forum, I had to change it to manual account activation, becasue over the 2 or 3 years the forum has been running, we ended up with loads of zombie accounts with non ham radio callsigns

It was unclear whether these were bots or just non-hams or hams not registering with their callsign and then never accessing the site, but either way, having that many unknown zombie accounts, was a big risk in terms of DDOS and spamming, so I had to manually cull about 2000 accounts last year

Since then I have been manually checking each account registration, sometimes using QRZ.com to see if the callsign was fake or not

I think actually there may be some fake accounts which I accidently activated by mistake

But generally the forum is back to stability now without getting bombarded with advertising spam or requests from non-hams who want to do illegal things with the radio e.g. using them as to listen to encrypted police and millitary communications or to evade police or military understanding their transmissions etc
The usage license on the firmware also prohibits commercial use, so we do not allow commercial operators on the forum either, even though in practice we can't actually prevent commercial operators using the firmware, becuase anyone can download it.

Roger

VK3KYY