good day from Hamcation

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
K4KRT

good day from Hamcation

Post by K4KRT » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:06 pm

380 and 2017 user.
I heard about this project from someone at the hamcation after chatting about the lousy 2017 stock firmware.
Glad to see someone delivering something in the way of what the old 380 got years ago.

Thank you

VK3KYY

Re: good day from Hamcation

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:03 pm

K4KRT wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:06 pm
380 and 2017 user.
I heard about this project from someone at the hamcation after chatting about the lousy 2017 stock firmware.
Glad to see someone delivering something in the way of what the old 380 got years ago.

Thank you
Welcome

The MD2017 is currently only an Alpha version.

It does generally work OK, but does not make full use of the dual transceiver chips inside the radio

I'm currently trying to determine whether both transceiver chips can be used at the same time e.g. for true Dual Watch or perhaps even cross band repeater or cross-band full duplex, but because the official firmware doesn't seem to support any of those sorts of functionality, then I'm not sure if the hardware is capable of it

With the stock/official firmware, I can't seem to get it to automatically switch to Channel A when I'm listening to Channel B and someone comes onto Channel A, or vice versa

I presumed that the reason for the MD2017 having 2 transciver chips in the radio, and 2 sets of Rx preamps, was that the stock firmware could do this, but it doesn't seem to do this

I noticed a setting called "2 Channel" in the General Settings of the official CPS,but this didn't seem to make any differenc to Dual Watch

There also seems to be a setting on each Channel for "Auto Scan", but from what I can tell, this is related to automatically adding the channel to a scan list ,I think

If you know how to configure the stock firmware to operate in true Dual Watch mode, I'd be interested, because currently I have my MD2017 dissassembled with wires soldered to the internal data bus that controls the transceiver chip , so that I can capture and then manually decode the configuation data and commands set to the TRx chips

KD9AEZ

Re: good day from Hamcation

Post by KD9AEZ » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:04 am

I will say that I could, with the stock firmware, monitor both my hotspot DMR channel on one chip and a local FM 2m repeater on the other, at the same time. It was possible. I don't know about transmitting though at the same time (cross-banding), but receiving true dual mode was a thing.