Hello from a new DMR user

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
AK5DN

Hello from a new DMR user

Post by AK5DN » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:41 pm

Thank you for letting me join your organization. I have been a ham for years, but just recently bought my first DMR radio. I got a TYT MD-UV390 Plus from Buy Two Way Radios. I've enjoyed learning how to program and use it, and I'm very interested in loading OpenGD77 firmware on it. I do have a couple of reservations that I'd like some advice on.

First, the website I bought it from says that changing the software on the radio will void my warranty. Have any of you had issues with a radio after changing the firmware and needing to use the warranty?

Second, I'm very new to flashing new firmware. If I mess it up, is there a way to go back to the original firmware?

Thank you for your time and patience

David
AK5DN

SA0BUX

Re: Hello from a new DMR user

Post by SA0BUX » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:31 pm

AK5DN wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:41 pm
Thank you for letting me join your organization. I have been a ham for years, but just recently bought my first DMR radio. I got a TYT MD-UV390 Plus from Buy Two Way Radios. I've enjoyed learning how to program and use it, and I'm very interested in loading OpenGD77 firmware on it. I do have a couple of reservations that I'd like some advice on.

First, the website I bought it from says that changing the software on the radio will void my warranty. Have any of you had issues with a radio after changing the firmware and needing to use the warranty?

Second, I'm very new to flashing new firmware. If I mess it up, is there a way to go back to the original firmware?

Thank you for your time and patience

David
AK5DN
As you seems to have a "plus" radio you should not try to upgrade to Opengd77 until we have dissected the changed hardware and created some software that support the hardware.

AK5DN

Post by AK5DN » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:48 pm

Thanks for your response. This is just the kind of information I need. I will keep a ear out for updates and not try anything in the meantime.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:58 pm

AK5DN wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:48 pm
Thanks for your response. This is just the kind of information I need. I will keep a ear out for updates and not try anything in the meantime.
Is it a 5W or 10w variant, the firmware was working with 5w versions, last year, but TYT seems to be making several hardware variants but not changing the model number :-(

AK5DN

Post by AK5DN » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:11 pm

Mine is advertised as 5 watts and if I understood it correctly, the "plus" designation means that it has built-in GPS.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:24 am

AK5DN wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:11 pm
Mine is advertised as 5 watts and if I understood it correctly, the "plus" designation means that it has built-in GPS.
The PLUS versions seem to indicate some additional functionality in the stock / official firmware, and is not related to the GPS as I think it is possible to buy PLUS versions which don't have GPS.

Some people have successfully installed onto the 5W PLUS version, but its unclear whether the latest PLUS 5W models are actually de-rated 10W radios, and the 10W radios don't currently work with the firmware becuase TYT seems to have redesigned the PA , including how the various stages in the PA and the output filter , need to be controlled by the CPU/MCU

Unfortunately we don't know definitively whether the firmware works on the 5W PLUS versions or not.

AK5DN

Post by AK5DN » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:12 am

I appreciate the information. I will try to wait patiently until someone is able to either determine that OpenGD77 will work, or until a suitable version is available.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:41 am

AK5DN wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:12 am
I appreciate the information. I will try to wait patiently until someone is able to either determine that OpenGD77 will work, or until a suitable version is available.
You may need to wait a long time, because there does not seem to be any way to know which version of radio you have unless you either dissassemble it or try the firmware.