Hello world.

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
KJ6RED

Hello world.

Post by KJ6RED » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:59 pm

Good day (or night) from the greater Nashville TN area. I am new to DMR, but the videos I saw on the OpenGD77 firmware sold me on this, so I bought a Retevis RT3S and promptly loaded the OGD77 firmware in Sep 23. I am pleased, though still learning. Trying to wrap my head around using repeaters in the DMR world. I reckon I will get a hotspot in the near future.

Thank you to all who have contributed to the firmware, there are many cool features, and apparently some new features in later firmware, so I will be delving into that shortly.

David
KJ6RED

VK3KYY

Re: Hello world.

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:44 pm

Welcome

DMR can be a bit daunting to start with, and the official firmware in most radios makes this even more of a problem.

Unfortunately most of the DMR configuration and tutoria videos on youtube etc are for official radio firmware, where things are much more complicated

So if you do look for tutorial videos, make sure they are using the OpenGD77 firmware when they describe the codeplug and the TalkGroups etc, otherwise its going to be quite confusing

KJ6RED

Re: Hello world.

Post by KJ6RED » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:02 pm

Thank you. I definitely search for this firmware specifically when referencing videos. I have no previous DMR experience, so I do not have to unlearn anything.

I do have plenty of DMR questions, and do not wish to repeat topics that have beaten to death (I don't even know what I don't know in order to effectively search). Is there a recommended place that explains DMR in crayon (or comic sans font) for those of us who need elementary information?

KJ6RED