Hi from Spain!

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
EA7KLK

Hi from Spain!

Post by EA7KLK » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:45 am

Hello,

EA7KLK Volker from Dos Hermanas, near Sevilla in Spain here.

I just installed OpenGD77 on my RT84 and it has returned the fun and joy to DMR and Ham Radio (as I don't have any chance to install even the smallest of antennas currently)! No more fiddling with overcomplicated CPS. A radio that does what I as a radio amateur want, not how DMR is seen by the manufacturers - yes, I know it was designed for commercial radio applications and not amateur use.

My biggest thanks go to the whole team of developers, the amount and quality of work you've done here is amazing!

F1RMB

Re: Hi from Spain!

Post by F1RMB » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:29 pm

Welcome.

EA7KLK

Post by EA7KLK » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:03 pm

Quick update: I've received an RT3S a day earlier than expected, and OpenGD77 is running on it already, happily hamming up the airwaves. My RT84 will likely become my simplex hotspot modem (on my balcony, in a waterproof case) to allow me to use the radio when I'm in the neighborhood walking the dog, as my MMDVM shield just won't cut it in such circumstances.

Thanks again for the great times OpenGD77 is giving me.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:12 pm

Using any handheld as a hotspot using the antenna on the radio, there can be problems with RF pickup into the USB cable.
You may need an RF choke on the USB cable etc

EA7KLK

Post by EA7KLK » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:13 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:12 pm
Using any handheld as a hotspot using the antenna on the radio, there can be problems with RF pickup into the USB cable.
You may need an RF choke on the USB cable etc
Thanks a lot for the hint, although I read this stern warning in the user manual already ;). I got myself a tiny wee external dual-band antenna with 3m of cable and SMA connector, so I guess that will do the trick just fine. So far it covers the range of my walks with the dog, around 1 Km in an urban setting with some high-rise (8-10 floors) buildings very nicely, and I guess it has potential for some more, even just from my balcony on a 1st floor :D

Anyways, keeping the ham spirit alive even on DMR with tinkering and experimenting!

73 de EA7KLK