Hello & Strange? Issue with TYT MD-UV380.

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
m0rbd

Hello & Strange? Issue with TYT MD-UV380.

Post by m0rbd » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:09 am

Hello,

I'm Mike M0RBD, let's try a first post! :D

I flashed a TYT MD-UV380 with the latest Beta (had the Alpha on it earlier), I really like the UI!

I can't get it working with my hotspot (running latest PI-Star + MMVDM dual frequency hat).

At first I thought I had configured the TS/TG etc, wrong... However, I can see the hotspot transmitting, but no data/call or audio is displayed/heard.
When I TX, I get a "Timeout" message after 2-3 secs. And listening to it on FM, it seems to "stutter" on TX.

Then I tried it on a single frequency using TG9/TS1 (and TS2 for reference) against my Anytone AT-D878UV, when I TX the MD-UV380 the Anytone picks up the transmission on both TS1/2 and data/voice is received. However, not vice-versa... As with the hotspot, I can see the traffic/signal, but nothing is received/displayed at all.

While I'm at it, although I can't test it presently (charger is broken), I've flashed a Baofeng DM-9HX (which the CPS software id'ed as an RD-5R) with the Alpha at the same time as the MD-UV380, and I had exactly the same issue with the hotspot/Anytone.
But it worked both ways between the MD-UV380 and DM-9HX, when tested on a single frequency and TG9/TS1.

Is this some odd chipset/hw incompatibility perhaps?

G4EML

Re: Hello & Strange? Issue with TYT MD-UV380.

Post by G4EML » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:17 pm

Hello Mike and welcome.,

Initially I would ignore the hotspot issue and concentrate on getting the Anytone working. Hotspots can be very touchy to get working, especially duplex ones, although In principal they should work with OpenGD77.

I have an Anytone 868 and can confirm that it does work OK with a MD-UV380 running OpenGD77 firmware.

There are a few things to check...

On the MDUV380

Press SK1 (The top one) and Green to enter the quick menu, then make sure that DMR Filter is set to 'None'. Press Green to exit.
Press SK2 (the bottom one) and green to enter the Channel Details menu Check the colour code is correctly set and the Tx and Rx frequencies are the same. The timeslot setting is unimportant.

On the AT-D878

Select Menu/Settings/Chan Set. Check the colour code and frequencies are correct and DMR Mode is set to 'Simplex'. The timeslot setting is unimportant.

Note that setting DMR Mode to 'Dual Slot' will not work because OpenGD77 does not support Dual Capacity Direct Mode.

Colin G4EML

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:25 pm

The problem with the hotspot will be that the Anyone and UV380 do not transmit on exactly the same frequency.

Use the calibration menu to adjest the Tx freq so that it is exactly the same as the Anytime, to an accuracy of 100Hz or better

If you don't have a freq counter , compare them using and using a SDR dongle connected to a PC

Also you can put the duplex hotspots into simplex mode, to make adjusting the calibration of the hotspot easier.
But as you already calibrated the hotspot to the freq of the Anytime, that radio is now the master reference

BTW

I use a duplex hotspot and it works OK with the firmware

m0rbd

Post by m0rbd » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:56 am

G4EML wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:17 pm
Hello Mike and welcome.,

Initially I would ignore the hotspot issue and concentrate on getting the Anytone working. Hotspots can be very touchy to get working, especially duplex ones, although In principal they should work with OpenGD77.

I have an Anytone 868 and can confirm that it does work OK with a MD-UV380 running OpenGD77 firmware.

There are a few things to check...

On the MDUV380

Press SK1 (The top one) and Green to enter the quick menu, then make sure that DMR Filter is set to 'None'. Press Green to exit.
Press SK2 (the bottom one) and green to enter the Channel Details menu Check the colour code is correctly set and the Tx and Rx frequencies are the same. The timeslot setting is unimportant.

On the AT-D878

Select Menu/Settings/Chan Set. Check the colour code and frequencies are correct and DMR Mode is set to 'Simplex'. The timeslot setting is unimportant.

Note that setting DMR Mode to 'Dual Slot' will not work because OpenGD77 does not support Dual Capacity Direct Mode.

Colin G4EML
Thanks for your help, it was the "DMR Mode" setting on the Anytone that made the difference.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:53 am

Hopefully you can now get the hotspot working. It is unlikely that the hotspot is using DCDM so the fix will probably be different.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:05 am

An update to this thread.

We have now added the ability to receive DCDM transmissions on the MDUV380. (It has always been available on the GD77 type radios). However this is receive only, we are not currently planning or able to implement transmit. If you reply to a DCDM call your reply will use normal DMO signaling. Most commercial radios will still hear this OK. This work-around only supports one timeslot per frequency.

m0rbd

Post by m0rbd » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:38 pm

Thanks to both of you for your help earlier!

I've also got things working on the DM-9HX (with the latest firmware) now.

On the "Pi-Star", "DMRTXLevel" set to above 60, made the difference on my hotspot when talking to those two radios.