New in DMR

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
af4bh

New in DMR

Post by af4bh » Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:06 pm

I bought a RT3S not knowing this open firmware, and I installed it on my HT the second day my new radio arrived. I came across OpenGD77 when I was researching with this radio in my hand. LOL! :D :D :D :D GPS and Satellite are not working yet, but so far I like the new firmware. It makes an otherwise hard to use radio so much easier to use. It's miles ahead the factory firmware. It feels like I am using a ham radio now instead of a commercially programed rig.

G4EML

Re: New in DMR

Post by G4EML » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:23 pm

That's exactly what we were trying to achieve!. Thanks for the feedback.

If your radio has GPS fitted you will need to turn it on in the Options/General Options menu. The GPS menu should then show 'Acquiring' with signal bars for each satellite. The GPS is not very sensitive in these radios, so it will probably only work outside in the clear.

Once the GPS has found your position and you have downloaded the Sat Keps using the CPS (Extras / OpenGD77 Support) the satellite menu should start to work.,

Colin G4EML

af4bh

Post by af4bh » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:36 pm

G4EML wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:23 pm
If your radio has GPS fitted you will need to turn it on in the Options/General Options menu. The GPS menu should then show 'Acquiring' with signal bars for each satellite. The GPS is not very sensitive in these radios, so it will probably only work outside in the clear.
I wonder if it could be a hardware issue. I kept turning GPS "ON", but it kept reverting back to "OFF". I fiddled with it for about 15 minutes last night. I brought it with me to work. Now that I am sitting in my office with large windows next to me, the GPS screen is saying "acquiring". That's very encouraging! However, satellite screen is still saying "Not Set". Perhaps I need to have a successful GPS reading first?

Thanks for the hint! I will go outside later and try again.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:00 pm

GPS Rx in this radio is very insensitive, its almost impossible to get a GPS lock indoors

Leave the radio outside for several minutes, with a good view of the sky and it should eventually get a lock.

Also, unfortunatly becuase of bad hardware design, when the GPS is turned off, or you turn the radio off, the GPS module needs to do a 'cold start' next time it is turned on.

This is because the designers did not connect the backup battery on the main PCB of the radio to the GPS module, so it can maintain its internal data :-( :-(