Hello & Thanks

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
Gav-G0LGB

Hello & Thanks

Post by Gav-G0LGB » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:57 pm

So yesterday I was trying to tweak my MD9600 and stumbled across this site entirely by chance & thought i'd give the fw a try....
After quite a few false starts, I got it successfully flashed & running, what a huge difference it's made....
It's gone from a typical clunky cheap Chinese set with poor features and usability with an unfriendly UI, into a real amateur rig...with many great features...
Thank you!

By the way, i got the latest factory FW from TYT last year, v7.45, I think this was the root of my flashing issues....
Once I downgraded to 6.24 the flash went perfectly.

Thanks again for all your work developing this

G4EML

Re: Hello & Thanks

Post by G4EML » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:31 pm

Hello Gav,

Welcome.

The firmware was originally written for the buttons and keys available on a handheld, so when converting to the MD9600 mobile a few changes were needed. Everything should work but the key sequences used may be slightly different. The user guide doesn't yet accurately reflect the difference.

Colin G4EML

Gav-G0LGB

Post by Gav-G0LGB » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:20 pm

Hi Colin, thanks for the info there, i think the advantages outweigh a bit of button mapping and glitches by a country mile though, I can't believe how well you guys have done with the conversion.
When i got this 9600 4 or 5 years ago it took me days and days to get it usable, even simple things like the digital database were a real pain, i tried a couple of utils that would create a csv file but even then when i upload that to the set it was usually corrupted, or wouldn't display correctly I ended up having to do it myself, import to an Excel spreadsheet, edit it and upload it...
Then with this firmware the whole process was done in a couple of mouse clicks...made my day i can tell you!
And as someone that has converted a lot of ex pmr sets the RSSI is very welcome indeed, and the dual VFO's...it really brassed me off to have to select either VFO or memory mode previously & not be able to select on the fly.
No, you've done well, its very usable indeed now.
I'm sure it's not perfect, but i'm very pleased I found it...my initial thoughts were it sounded great, but I don't have a GD77....so glad a i read a bit more about it...

My only issue so far is with the received audio of a friend when testing it earlier today in digital mode.
He's not very strong, around S-3 or -110db on the rssi, but his audio is "Clipping", reminds me of when you have the deviation set low and the mic gain set high so it clips on the peaks.
Is there a setting I don't know about yet hiding in there? A digital squelch of some sort?

Cheers
Gav

Oh and sad to read about the new chips the new sets are being shipped with not being compatible...i was thinking about buying a 1801 until i read that, i'll have to keep an eye out for a used one now...

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:12 pm

Turn on DMR AGC in the sound options

Gav-G0LGB

Post by Gav-G0LGB » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:06 am

AGC eh?
Yeah,that sounds a likely culprit....ok done it, hopefully catch him on the radio later today and put it to the test.
Many thanks

Gav-G0LGB

Post by Gav-G0LGB » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:13 pm

Sadly the agc didn't cure it, just increased or decreased the audio.
I've a feeling it's something at his side as the few dmr signals i've heard, simplex or via repeaters, have all been perfect...apart from his for some reason.
Thanks anyway though.