Firmware 4.3.6 or 4.3.9?

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
n2vip

Firmware 4.3.6 or 4.3.9?

Post by n2vip » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:10 pm

Hello,
I saw N5KRG's GD77 running OpenGD77 and discovered I too had a GD77 in my closet, so now I'm going to follw the instructions are load the firmware on my radio, but I see Radioddity has two [Ham Version} firmware files - the 4.3.6 the install instructions cite, and the latest 4.3.9 file from Dec 2021 - which should I install? My goal is to try out the satellite and hotspot features, and while common sense tells me to load the latest version, I wonder if that is the case here.

Thanks in advance, I tried to look through the forum archives, but apparently you can't search for "4.3.9"

Ken, N2VIP

n2vip

Re: Firmware 4.3.6 or 4.3.9?

Post by n2vip » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:56 pm

I guess I'll respond to my own question.

I didn't understand that it was using the "official" firmware for what I'll call "internal" purposes, it was never to be loaded on to the GD77, so I selected 4.3.6, it did what it needed to do, then I downloaded the latest firmware (the .bin file) and it installed easy-peesy.

My "code plug" appears to be unaffected by the upgrade/update, though I now can have 80 ch per zone instead of 16 from original firmware.

Went through and downloaded the latest DMR ID database for my region (prefix 314), and loaded it into the GD77, and everything appears fine.

Now I need to spend some time figuring out how set radio settings through the front panel, so I'm off to RTFM.

I appreciate what the software adds to my radio, and everyones efforts to make it as easy as it was to upgrade/update my readio.

Ken, N2VIP

VK3KYY

Re: Firmware 4.3.6 or 4.3.9?

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:51 pm

Hi Kevin

The official firmware is used as a donor, for legal reasons, for the audio codec.
Technically we replace everything in the official firmware which is not the codec

To make best use of the firmware on DMR you need to clean up your codeplug. You no longer need 1:channel per repeater per talk group, you can assign multiple TGs to the same channel using the TG list