N5KRG new user

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
n5krg

N5KRG new user

Post by n5krg » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:06 pm

Hi, folks.

Just received my GD-77 and am about to give the firmware replacement a try.

Should I be saving the existing firmware and other bits in the radio first? If so, I don't see a COM port come up in Device Manager even though Windows happily chimes that a driver activated and it sees something. Not sure what it sees, though, as no COM port appears. I have tried switching on the radio, switching on with SK1 pressed, with SK2 pressed, and with both (bootloader) pressed. Nary a COM port in sight. Any suggestions?

Well, about me I think the announcement requested. USA-licensed Amateur Extra class, coming up on 12 years. I have played about with satellites - and am an AMSAT member - for years. My "satellite gear" consists of a Kenwood TH-D72A, ICOM IC-W32A, and ICOM IC-9100.

G4EML

Re: N5KRG new user

Post by G4EML » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:12 pm

The manufacturers firmware does not enumerate as a com port. What you are seeing is correct.
You won't see a com port until you install the openGD77 firmware.

Colin G4EML.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:35 pm

krgrantham wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:06 pm
Hi, folks.

Just received my GD-77 and am about to give the firmware replacement a try.

Should I be saving the existing firmware and other bits in the radio first? If so, I don't see a COM port come up in Device Manager even though Windows happily chimes that a driver activated and it sees something. Not sure what it sees, though, as no COM port appears. I have tried switching on the radio, switching on with SK1 pressed, with SK2 pressed, and with both (bootloader) pressed. Nary a COM port in sight. Any suggestions?

Well, about me I think the announcement requested. USA-licensed Amateur Extra class, coming up on 12 years. I have played about with satellites - and am an AMSAT member - for years. My "satellite gear" consists of a Kenwood TH-D72A, ICOM IC-W32A, and ICOM IC-9100.
You can backup the Flash and EEPROM memories after you install the openGD77 , in case you want to do a full restore before going back to the official firmware, but you would need to do that is immediately after installing the OpenGD77 , and before you upload a codeplug or voice promote or satellite keps etc.
You can also backup the MCU/CPU internal ROM but this only backs up the official bootloader and some software protection keys used by the official firmware, and these are never overwritten by the OpenGD77

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:00 am

I've changed your username to your callsign

Thanks

Roger

VK3KYY