New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
KI7UWN

Post by KI7UWN » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:11 pm

Hi all, new here and my call is KI7UWN. I really like the opengd77 firmware. Unfortunately I'm trying to set up some radios for use under a business license and was incredibly disappointed to see that encryption is not supported, as that is pretty much a prerequisite for all of our communications platforms. At any rate, I'll continue to look for other options and will still likely use opengd77 for personal projects.

G4EML

Re: New member

Post by G4EML » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:40 pm

The licence for OpenGD77 is specifically for amateur radio use only. Commercial use is not allowed.
One of the reasons for this is that using OpenGD77 will invalidate any type approvals, so it would not be legal to use on commercial systems.
Most countries do not allow encryption on amateur radio transmissions, so it is not something that will be added to the firmware.

Colin G4EML.

KI7UWN

Post by KI7UWN » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:38 pm

We have a business license because we are a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization. We use radios for educational and community organizing purposes, and that use is wholly unrelated to the sale of any products or services so that is well within the limitations of non-commercial use. Regardless, as I said previously, I have already moved on to other options.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:36 am

KI7UWN wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:11 pm
Hi all, new here and my call is KI7UWN. I really like the opengd77 firmware. Unfortunately I'm trying to set up some radios for use under a business license and was incredibly disappointed to see that encryption is not supported, as that is pretty much a prerequisite for all of our communications platforms. At any rate, I'll continue to look for other options and will still likely use opengd77 for personal projects.
Your username is now KI7UWN