Hi guys

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
AB6B

Hi guys

Post by AB6B » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:22 pm

The name is Ted and I spent the first 40 years of my life in the UK and (around 1980ish) held the callsign G6HKU. Then I moved to the USA in 1997 and now live here, have just retired, and hold the (vanity) Extra callsign AB6B. If anyone I knew in the UK wants to get in touch, please feel free to reach out to me either here or via QRZ.

I retired (as a self-employed electronic/PCB design engineer) in Aug 21 and I'm (re)setting up my shack with an FT-991A as my main rig. The VHF/UHF bands around here are pretty quiet so I'm also trying to set up a DMR station without breaking the bank. Just ordered the following gear but none of it has arrived yet:

1. Pi Zero 2 W and a AURSINC MMDVM Hotspot Board to set up and run a Pi-Star hotspot
2. Radioditty GD-77 (with spare battery) that I managed to snag from Radioditty as an open box item

I'm planning on using the OpenGD77 setup but I think I need to prove that the radio is working on stock firmware before I load anything non-standard up. I've had my account confirmed by radio ID but not yet applied for anything else.

I'd welcome and advice, dos and don'ts on the DMR setup.

VK3KYY

Re: Hi guys

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:24 am

Good idea to check the radio first, then you can send it back if it has any hardware faults.

You'll need to use the official CPS to load at least one channel or perhaps you can use the VFO and mess around with the menus to set that up

If the hardware is OK.

After installing the OpenGD77 firmware, make sure you backup the Flash and EEPROM memory, otherwise there can be problems if you decided to go back to the official firmware.