Hello from Butte, Montana de AI7KS

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
AI7KS

Hello from Butte, Montana de AI7KS

Post by AI7KS » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:25 pm

I’m a new ham and a young senior citizen. I’m just getting started with DMR, although so far it has been successful. I’ve programmed a few different code plugs for an Alinco DJ-MD5xt as I figure out how I want to organize everything. I also have put together a couple of Pi-Star MMDVM hotspots using the excellent Lonestar Semiconductor Design simplex Pi hat. Again, I spent a lot of time experimenting after getting the basic hotspots going, trying them in public mode with an access list as well as private mode.
I might be interested in diving into this concept of user improved firmware. I have some (ancient) background in firmware and real time operating systems so the work done on OpenGD77 fascinates me. I’d really enjoy learning how this started and how it evolved. Is there a History of OpenGD77 article that I could read?

VK3KYY

Re: Hello from Butte, Montana de AI7KS

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:49 pm

Welcome

Codeplugs for the OpenGD77 are the same digital format as the official codeplug, but because talkgroups can be assiged to channels (for repeaters), there is no need to do all the duplication of channels that is needed on conventional DMR radios.

AI7KS

Re: Hello from Butte, Montana de AI7KS

Post by AI7KS » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:24 pm

That’s smart; 80% of my codeplug consists of that duplication, with Parrots, frequently used talk groups, and private contacts duplicated for every repeater.