Greetings from Seattle. Considering OpenGD77.

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
KD7MW

Greetings from Seattle. Considering OpenGD77.

Post by KD7MW » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:09 am

Hi, all! I'm Peter, KD7MW. I've been a ham over 50 years. While I'm mostly on HF, I've been on DMR almost two years. I have an Anytone 878UV and a Pi-Star Zumspot. My main interest with DMR is conversing internationally, so I'm mostly on Brandmeister talkgroup 91. I'm a retired IT guy, network administration and PC support. Other interests include classical music (I play bassoon and compose), and photography.

My Anytone 878's audio amp just failed, and the replacement part is "obsolete and discontinued." So I'm thinking of purchasing another DMR radio that won't be such a painful loss if it also dies young. The idea of an open source firmware specifically geared to ham radio appeals to me. So here I am.

So tell me, why might I like OpenGD77 on a GD-77 better than the 878? :-) Also, I read on a couple of sites that that "the plug has been pulled" on OpenGD77. But this site shows that development is continuing. Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

KI5PGJ

Re: Greetings from Seattle. Considering OpenGD77.

Post by KI5PGJ » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:27 pm

I have 40+ years IT experience, it wasn't called IT when I started.

You should get an GD77, I have 3 of them for family use and help other local club members install OpenGD77 and Open1801 on several other GD77 radios. In addition I bought one to give to my brother, unfortunately I didn't realize there were no DMR repeaters in Louisville. We are pretty spoiled here in New Mexico with 3 different DMR repeater systems.

The GD77 are pretty low cost and the OpenGD77 software works very well. The only downside I see is once you use OpenGD77 software you will think other DMR radios are a PITA, I have.

I recommend you take the risk and get one. You will be the best judge.

KI5PGJ