New Member seeking guidance

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
NU5D

New Member seeking guidance

Post by NU5D » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:47 am

Hello to this group. By trade I worked 30 years as a radio communications service technician, sold my SMR / Service shop 10 years ago and now do a little HF and lately DMR. I had several left over repeater stations that were easy to make into DMR repeaters using the Repeater builder / Pi-Star / STM32 board. Been a ham since getting novice around 1977 or so - KA5AMI, then N5EOM and finally NU5D (not a vanity call)..

So, I started with an Anytone talkie and then a Baofeng 1801. I changed to firmware from the native Baofeng sgl to DM1801 and Open GD 77 CPS. All is well. Today I would like to update / to the latest / greatest firmware, and here it gets confusing. I am using a win 11 pc (probably the first problem) and not sure how to go forward. Menu / Firmware info Shows OpenDM1801, Built Aug 1, 2020, [ edf674e ] Pretty sure I flashed the firmware 01 19 21 .

I don't want to mess up the radio, and now it seems the upgrade software won't find the com port (I can to to a win 10 machine if need be)... So, what it the path for me to take to get the radio up to speed (so the speak).. I does seem to work pretty well as it is, but I like to tinker.

Thanks in advance, steve nu5d

VK3KYY

Re: New Member seeking guidance

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:41 am

Windows 11 does not allow non-commercial drivers to be installed, but Windows 11 installs its on COM port driver for the OpenGD77

The problem however, is that the com port is unnamed, and hence the CPS can't detect which com port the radio is plugged into, (the names of the com ports are all generic e.g COM1, COM2 etc)

Hence under Windows 11, the CPS prompts the user to select which com port is actually the radio.

You will need to establish what com port number W11 has assigned to the GD77 and manually select that com port in the cps

Re:verions

Latest stable version is

https://www.opengd77.com/downloads/rele ... /firmware/

However there are multiple beta versions, which have more functionality e.g. Satellie mode

Current latest Beta is

https://www.opengd77.com/downloads/PublicBeta_20220109/

NU5D

Post by NU5D » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:37 pm

Thank you Roger - Worked like a charm - I was a little confused on sgl files and bin files, but all went very smooth. 73 steve

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:56 pm

OK